Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bathroom Drain Question
Author: BrettMet (MI)

Hello,

A couple weeks ago I observed that we had water dripping from the main floor bathroom. Upon deeper inspection and removal of the toilet, I determined that there was a blockage somewhere downstream from where the shower and toilet meet up, which also explained why some toilet water would gurgle up in the bathtub.

So, I snaked it, but never really felt I freed anything up. I also poured a lot of vinegar and baking soda down there and let it sit awhile. Perhaps I did free something up or dissolve a clog without realizing it. I filled both the sink and bathtub and released their drains simultaneously to flood the area, knowing that if I saw water back up in the toilet drain, then I'd be able to pull the drains again to stop the flow. Nothing backed up, so I put the toilet back on.

A couple days later, toilet water gurgled up again, suggesting the blockage was still downstream from where the toilet and tub meet up. I removed the toilet and fed a garden hose into the toilet drain, full blast, with the tub and sink emptying out, too! Nothing backed up! It seems that it only wants to give me trouble when the toilet is in place and moving dirty water!

Any ideas on what's going on? Thank you.

Re: Bathroom Drain Question
Author: bernabeu (SC)

time for a pro with the appropriate drain clearing equipment

LICENSED BONDED INSURED

[www.bing.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

I've posted with plumbing questions twice, and both times I received the answer "Hire a plumber." Forgive me, but that's not why I thought this website existed. I'm looking for solutions I might be able to try on my own or ideas about why the drain may be behaving the way it is. If I'm posting in the wrong place, or if anybody has another suggestion (other than to hire someone to find a different website for me), I'd be interested in hearing. Thanks.

Author: NoHub (MA)

Could be a venting issue and sorry to say it sounds like time to call a Licensed Plumber. P.S vinegar and baking soda don't work, old wise Tail.

Author: bsipps (PA)

The reason call a plumber keeps coming up is because you have already done what is supposed to be done which is cable the toilet drain to the pipe in your yard or if you do not have a clean out in the yard you have to cable it until where it meets the city sewer

We assume you do not have the proper equipment for this and it would be more expensive to buy what is necessary than hire a plumber with the tools and knowledge to do it for you… clearing drains actually requires more than just the tools

@ OP,

? did you look at the PICTURES of the REQUIRED equipment ?

I don't see any pictures on anybody's post. A little help, please.

Ah, this is very helpful. I did not snake it all the way to through the yard, just to the point at which I felt that I wasn't getting around a bend, so perhaps I need to persevere and get it around that bend. Thank you very much.

Author: steve (CA)

What size snake were you using?

click the link: [www.bing.com]

I got the snake back from my buddy, but I remembered that the snake didn't do much. I wasn't able to get it in past a few inches, because of twists in the PVC. So, I think the only thing that had worked was the router (not sure if I'm using the proper terms here), which went in and stopped at an elbow. I don't know how tough I'm supposed to be on these things.

Author: bsipps (PA)

If your getting caught up in a pvc fitting you have the wrong tool, time to call a pro or rent an actual cable machine with the pro being the better option

..... I don't know how tough I'm supposed to be on these things. .....

the pro DOES know

AND

has the proper 'things'

Author: NP16 (OR)

Drain cleaning can be very tough work - especially when the drains are not plumbed to code.
Drain cleaning can also be VERY dangerous work. Have you sat down and read the manual for drain snake machine? I think there is no less than 40 warnings on how to avoid injury and/or death.

Drains need to have proper sweep and directional flow. If these conditions do not exist even the best rooter guy might not be able to advance the cable to find the stoppage and clear it. Also if the drain is compromised or collapsed the cable head can become stuck in the broken pipe section.

My recommendation is to pay for a plumbing consultation with a licensed plumbing contractor.
Find out if additional clean-outs are recommended. By UPC code every aggregate horizontal change in direction of 135 degrees requires a clean-out. You could also have the drain scoped by a camera if needed.

Good luck to you and if you can post the final results of this project.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.