Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Titanium Anode Rod for Water Heater
Author: utelectrode (NJ)

Anodes in a water heater are divided into sacrificial anode rods and titanium anode rods. A sacrificial anode rod is an exposed metal rod that is inserted into the water heater. It is designed to corrode slowly over time. The sacrificial anode is made from either magnesium, aluminum, or zinc. The lifespan of sacrificial anodes varies greatly based on local water conditions and quality. Annual inspection and replacement for sacrificial anode rods are recommended. In areas with sulfides in the water, there is a reaction with magnesium anodes which creates hydrogen sulfide gas that creates a rotten egg smell in the water. In areas with high conductivity water, aluminum anodes are depleted too quickly, leaving the tank unprotected.

Titanium anode rod, also known as powered anode rod, introduces an electrical current into the water heater to prevent corrosion. They don't corrode and require replacement regularly as sacrificial anode rods do. It provides consistent protection that extends the life of your water heater tank. Since no chemicals are added to the water as with sacrificial anodes, powered anodes will not create smelly water or aluminum hydroxide. In fact, some titanium anode rods can last for decades.

Re: Titanium Anode Rod for Water Heater
Author: NP16 (OR)

"Annual inspection and replacement for sacrificial anode rods are recommended."

Pretty sure this is never happening anywhere. Also it would be good to drain and flush the tank and check the T & P valve. Other things that do not happen for the most part.

Any plumber out there checking anode rods? Any homeowners out there doing annual anode inspection?

Author: NoHub (MA)

And in my eyes, you have to replace them at least every 3 1/2 to 4 years of you are wasting your time.

Author: NHSuper (NH)

I'm not a plumber but do maintenance on a bunch of rentals. I tried to replace the anode rod on my home WH after 4 years and couldn't get the thing out of the tank. I believe that when they first start to corrode, they swell slightly and cannot be pulled out through the installation hole. When they have more fully "sacrificed" they slip out easily. I replaced one once and it had lost all of its mass; it was just a thin wire. If the basement or utility area has limited height (old house) and you have a full-height WH, you will need a segmented or flexible replacement rod.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.