Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Plugging the pop-up hole in the vanity drain
Author: ArthurPeabody (NM)

I replaced my bathroom sink, got a fixture without a pop-up plug. Somehow I scavenged a nice brass drain, Dearborn Brass 759-1. It has the fitting for the pop-up drain lever in its side, but not the nut or the lever. I want to plug it. It'd be nice to have a cap nut that would fit. I measure its diameter with my calipers as 27/32. Is there a standard part for this purpose?

Re: Plugging the pop-up hole in the vanity drain
Author: sum (FL)

You are taking about the side rod cover nut?

I don't know if those threads are special. But I have German faucets and US faucets and the nut threads seem different. But I never had any issue finding a new cap to fit. The only thing is I don't know if you can find a closed cap, but I know you should be able to easily find a side rod with the ball plus the cap with a hole and seal that hole with both together.

But the issue is how will you control and up and down movement of the popup stopper without a lift rod and a side rod? Are you going to remove the stopper and just leave it open?

Author: ArthurPeabody (NM)

Yes, thanks, the 'side rod cover nut'. I was hoping it was a standard thread and that someone made a cap nut that big. Even with a regular nut I may can improvise a cap.

I bought a new faucet, one without a pop-up. I almost never stop the bathroom sink, have spent more time cleaning out the mechanism than using it. I'll put a plug in it when I want to.

Author: Tom130 (IL)

You would be better off using a grid strainer. This one is available from our sponsor: [www.plumbingsupply.com]

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: sum (FL)

They have various drains to pair with faucets without a popup assembly. Some of them have a grid, some of them are push down stopper. If you have to use the pop up drain then you need to either find a closed cap, or use an existing cap that has a hole in the middle, and just cut the rod off the ball and use it to seal. May be a piece of rubber cut to fit the cap's ID could work to seal it by compression.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.