Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Leaking pipe to tankless coil oil burner
Author: Lee (NJ)

Hi Everyone :

When I go to solder this pipe with a new fitting do I need to drain the oil burner at the bottom where there is a red valve ? Or do I just heat up the leaky copper elbow and let the water drip out ? Pull the elbow off. Before soldering do I turn off oil burner and turn on the hot water to drain the coil then heat up leaking elbow and pull off ? Clean up copper pipe or stubb out coming out of coil add new elbow and solder ?

I have pictures : [i.postimg.cc]
[i.postimg.cc]
[i.postimg.cc]
[i.postimg.cc]
[i.postimg.cc]

Re: Leaking pipe to tankless coil oil burner
Author: bernabeu (SC)

Assuming there is no leak in the coil itself:

you need simply drain the hot water and resolder the elbow w/o affecting the oil burner or boiler

i would replace the ell with a 'vent tee' with the vent looking down for future service purposes

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks Bernbeau. I will research what a vent tee is. Installed looking down.

there is a rubber washer under the screw cap

commonly used to vent air from baseboard heat

and also used as convenient 'service drain points' when installed with cap pointing down

Author: bsipps (PA)

That boiler looks like it needs to be replaced very soon, I would try pumping boiler solder into the boiler from the drain and start saving for a new boiler

The boiler is not the issue.

A leak on the piping to the indirect hot water coil is the issue.

Thank you everyone.

I have another question : I am unable to remove elbow that is leaking. I got my angle grinder and let all the water out because I figured that was the reason I could not heat up solder and pull the elbow out of the coupling. I am using MAP Gas and still that elbow will not budge. Upon further examination I see a water drop. Any suggestions ? I have pictures :

[i.postimg.cc]

[i.postimg.cc]

Author: bsipps (PA)

Suck the water out with a wet vac

Cut the elbow through with a hacksaw at its 'throat' - do NOT cut the underlying Cu tube

make two cuts if necessary to 'cut off' an actual piece allowing the water to drain completely

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.