Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Why do bathroom sinks need to be full of water?
Author: GnrPink (MN)

I was just thinking this the other day as I was clearing out a stoppage between the rod and tailpiece pipe which I seem to always be doing. I have never filled up a bathroom sink with water in my life, nor have I ever known anybody who's known anybody who ever has.

To add insult to injury of an already bad idea they concocted the worst design for a stopper with a metal rod going straight down the middle of an already small diameter pipe making it now 1/2 inch for drainage. Why can't there just be a 1 1/4 inch rubber stopper used?

I realize it's best to test newly installed tailpiece and under sink piping with a full sink of water, but a simple rubber plug would do.

Who are the people that are filling up bathroom sinks fully with water?

Re: Why do bathroom sinks need to be full of water?
Author: hj (AZ)

They use the "plug" even if they only need a 1/2" of water.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

They DO make basin drains w/o pop-up assemblies.

They DO make basin faucets w/o pop-up rods.

Buy and install whatever YOU desire.

{the big box stores tend to only stock the 'most popular' items}

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: sum (FL)

you fill the sink full of water when you want to soak something like a piece of clothing that has blood stain or spagetti sauce, or I know women who dyes their hair fills up the sink with the colorant and mix the stuff in the sink, plenty of times people fill up their sinks.

Author: jblanche (WI)

I've filled the sink to -
1. Flush the drain with the maximum gravity flow
2. Add bleach and let it flow into the overflow, to sanitize a stinky overflow

My dad used to shave with a sink full of water. He would dip the razor in the water to clean it.

Also I've seen people fill the sink to splash water on their face.

Have you ever seen an old lav fixture with separate hot and cold faucets? If the hot water is scalding, you would want to mix it with some cold. The easiest way to do that would be to fill the basin.

As already stated, if you don't like it, you can change it.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Author: bsipps (PA)

Cleaning pop ups is one of the easiest service calls a small pair of channys and a long skinny flat head and 10 minutes what’s not to like

Author: wheeler (NY)

Deleted

Edited 1 times.

grinning smiley

Hence the term: bathroom,

which is different from: toiletroom a/k/a outhouse.

grinning smiley

i remember from when i was a child in upstate NY on the farm - didn't have indoor toilet OR TV until i was 8 (1955)

life then was BOTH simpler and harder, but, way way way more enjoyable

ps.

way back then many/some homes had bathrooms and running water indoors while still having an outhouse for #2

later, when they purchased a 'crapper' it was installed in any available closet - hence the term 'water closet'

a scotsman by the name of Thomas J. Crapper developed the first practical flush toilet - T. J. Crapper Manufacturing was cast on the side of the device - which came to be called 'the crapper'

Edited 2 times.

You were EIGHT in 1955? I got married in 1955.

smiling smiley

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

Happy 85th birthday HJ

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Author: DaveMill (CA)

bernabeu said:

>They DO make basin drains w/o pop-up assemblies.
>
>They DO make basin faucets w/o pop-up rods.
>
>Buy and install whatever YOU desire.

Yes. If you are retrofitting a pop-up drain into a sink that had the rod style, be sure to purchase the right version, with or without overflow drain holes. One sink in our new house had a retrofitted pop-up without overflow holes, in a sink with an overflow. Dirty water had been trapped within the sink body for years.

coming up on 88. I retired just before my 84th one.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.