Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 City Of Yonkers- Shower body integral stops.
Author: Steverino (NY)

My plumber installed a Kohler Tub/Shower kit in my co-op apartment in Yonkers NY. It was purchased at HD in Yonkers. It has a 8304-K-NA shower body, no integral stop valves.. The inspector knocked the job, saying that a body with stops is required by code. This is not a hotel or commercial location. I thought that the only requirement of 412.3 was that the valve has to be thermostatically protected, which it is. Is there a code change, or is this inspector just being a knob?

Re: City Of Yonkers- Shower body integral stops.
Author: NP16 (OR)

If the inspector didn't pass the work he/she has to provide a code reference number.
Was this done? if yes, what is the code number.

I read code ICC 412.3. nothing about integral stop valves.

Perhaps there is a City of Yonkers local code on this.

BTW: good idea when there is not individual cold main shut off valve so that your shower valve can be serviced without effecting other units.

Edited 2 times.

Author: bsipps (PA)

All fixtures must have shutoff valves whether they are integral or ball valves with an access panel or exposed outside the wall this is the case in every township I work in, and no inspector looks past that

I agree its a good practice, but the code makes no mention of it in 412.3 and 606.2 goes on to say:

606.2 Location of Shutoff Valves

Shutoff valves shall be installed in the following locations:
On the fixture supply to each plumbing fixture OTHER than bathtubs and showers in one- and two-family residential occupancies, and other than in individual sleeping units that are provided with unit shutoff valves in hotels, motels, boarding houses and similar occupancies.
On the water supply pipe to each sillcock.
On the water supply pipe to each appliance or mechanical equipment.

City of Yonkers goes by NYS Uniform Code, which is IPC 2015.We have no special local code. Yonkers building inspectors have a wide latitude for "interpretation" of the code. The inspector didn't even cite the codebook. He just looked around and commented about the small scope of work, like I disappointed him.

The code exempts tubs and showers, because if the drain is open, they are impossible to overflow if a valve fails. I do have main valves that isolate the whole bathroom that are only 5 ft away, and another bathroom 30 ft away.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

it is NOT a 1 or 2 unit dwelling

it is a multiple unit co-op

individual fixture stops OR individual UNIT shut off valve(s) ARE required

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

I think you are correct. However, my plumber said that was never an issue with him with a plumbing inspector in this building before.
My brother is a LU638 Fitter! He told me to buy a house in Jersey, like him, so I wouldn't have to deal with nonsense like this. A 5 x 8 bathroom reno that I could have done myself, soup to nuts in under a week. So far, it has required an architect,3 contractors, $1500 in permits and 2 revisions, that went into the black hole of the Yonkers Dept. of Buildings, and only got approved last week. First denial was for having no spec on what kind of drywall screws were being used.Refile: $250. Second denial was for not showing firestopping detail on an existing a block concrete firewall. Refile: $250 -Just so sick of it all. I can't help feeling like they keep moving the goalposts.-Thanks for your input.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

be careful comparing multiple dwelling unit 'commercial' buildings to single family homes REGARDLESS of location(s)

code is the MINIMUM

good or best practice is often FAR SUPERIOR

it would be good practice to specify EVERYTHING down to the last screw

it would be good practice to 'fire stop' a concrete wall penetration to 'pre penetration' status not mere code compliance

if the bath floods/leaks in your private home in NJ you are SOL

if the bath floods/leaks in your co-op your downstairs neighbors are ALSO SOL

i totally agree with the city of yonkers

ps. ? why on earth would 'your plumber' install something unless it was SPECIFIED ? ! if there was NOT a spec then the architect should be held accountable !

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

Author: Don411 (IN)

It's not Yonkers it's the fact that you live in co-op where others are affected by how you plumb your unit. Go to NJ and buy a co-op and have same issues.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.