Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Another mystery pipe found in the middle of my yard
Author: sum (FL)

So this 1941 house keeps giving me puzzles to solve. I found something again in my yard...

So I am redoing my driveway with concrete pavers. The old driveway is asphalt, so there was a backhoe here earlier in the week removing the old cracked asphalt. As the backhoe removed the asphalt going back and forth it hit something, and it is an old pipe. Here is a picture of the yard, and the pipe is found where the red arrow is.

As you can tell it is in the middle of the yard, there is no structure anywhere near it.

So I dug around the pipe with a narrow shovel and the pipe goes down quite deep. 24" down and it's still not yielding.

It looks like a cast iron pipe to me. Buried almost vertically. It has an OD around 1-3/4" and ID 1-1/2".

32" down I the soil is wet, I think this is the water table.

A couple more inches the pipe started to yield and I was able to pull it out. The total length I pulled out is about 42". The last 8 to 10" is very corroded.

I am not sure if this is the end of this pipe, or if I broke it off where the pipe is severely corroded.

Anyone care to take a guess as to what this is doing there? In the middle of the yard for so many years?

Is it a drain of some sort?

Any chance I have a septic tank 42" below?

or this is just some random trash buried in dirt? A few months ago I dug up my main sewer drain to repair tree root intrusion and I found a 4'X2' 4" deep slab buried in the yard.

Some of you may remember I found a mystery hole in my yard some time back which i documented in this thread:

[www.plbg.com]

This is at the same property in the same side yard. That tank is over ten feet away from this pipe though.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Another mystery pipe found in the middle of my yard
Author: Lorensr (CA)

It appears to be an old 1 1/2" copper pipe. It is not Cast Iron because it does not bend.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the ID appears to be 1-1/2

the OD appears tp be 1-5/8

yep, coper tube

? why it is there ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

I doubt it is copper, it is 1/4" thick, even type K copper is not this thick.

As I dug down deeper and deeper, the soil I excavated became more and more reddish orange, this is consistent with cast iron pipe corrosive color, never seen copper pipe do that.

The bent can possibly be explained by the backhoe hitting it. That's a lot of force, or years ago something rolled over it when compacting the crushed stone base for the asphalt driveway.

But my main concern is whether it is broken off of something it's connected to, can a septic tank be 42" below? Do septic tanks have vents?

Author: sharp1 (IL)

Cast iron would break before it bent. The top end appears to have been driven in with a sledge hammer. Probably a piece of 1 1/2" galvanized pipe used as a guy wire anchor for a TV tower or a clothesline post.

Author: NoHub (MA)

Every Plumber should carry a Magnet on their key chain, No stickie it's non-ferrous metal. (Copper, brass etc.)

Author: bsipps (PA)

I agree I think it is an old fence post for a clothesline

Author: NP16 (OR)

Nice fence. are you going to stain it? clear?

your water table is ridiculously high. You are lucky there are no earthquakes in Florida - just the hurricanes and alligators.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

Sum wrote:
>Some of you may remember I found a mystery hole in my yard some time back which i documented in this thread:

Sum, did you ever determine what that rectangular underground chamber was?

Here is a picture with the dirt I dug up next to this pipe.

I don't think copper will stain the dirt like that. This is from something ferrous.

Edited 1 times.

I never did find out what that rectangular thing was. I end up measuring it's size and location then filled it in entirely.

Some thought it may have been a cistern, some thought it may have been a gray water dry well for a washing machine, some thought it may have been a home made rectangular riser with a septic tank below.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.