Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Supply line diameter
Author: cscjjd (LA)

Hi,
My question is about pipe diameters and how it affects available water in the home. I will be replacing the last 35 feet of an existing 1200 foot supply line. The supply line is 1” diameter but at the end it connects to a 3/4" pipe that goes into the home through the foundation.

Rather than using 35 feet of new 1” pipe followed by a 1” x ¾” coupling at the foundation, I would prefer to put the 1” x ¾” coupling at the beginning of the new section and use 35 feet of 3/4" pipe.

Given that the pipe going into the foundation is 3/4", will using the second method substantially reduce available water into the home?

Re: Supply line diameter
Author: hj (AZ)

YOur 1200 feet of 1: pipe will already do a good job of reducing the volume and dynamic pressure of the water.

Author: bsipps (PA)

I would stub 1” into the house then reduce to 3/4

HJ: So, is your conclusion that the 35 feet of 3/4" won't affect the situation much or that it will?
p.s. with the existing line (1235 feet of 1" ) the house has adequate water flow and 50 psi (measured at a hose bib).

Edited 1 times.

Thanks bsipps; this is an existing system. The pipe going into the house's foundation is 3/4" so I have no control over that. I only have control over the 35' section of supply line that I will be replacing (which I'd like to be 3/4" if it does not substantially affect the water usage in the house).

Author: steve (CA)

What type of pipe is the 1" and what type of 3/4" are you wanting to install? What type is the 3/4" through the foundation?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Depending on the available pressure at the 'street end' a change from 1" to 3/4" probably WILL introduce an unacceptable level of friction loss and subsequent reduction in total 'flow rate' volume.

IMO, keep it at 1" - it was done for a reason.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Its effect will be minimal. The pressure at the hose bibb is immaterial, unless you are measuring it while a faucet is running,

Unless the OP has minimal main pressure to start with.

Steve, the supply line is pvc, the 3/4" into the foundation is copper. I haven't decided what type to use for the 35 foot replacement yet. Thanks!

Re: Supply line diameter clap

hj: thanks for your input and your tip about measuring pressure.

Edited 1 times.

bernabeu: thanks for the input.

. deleted

Edited 1 times.

REgardless of the "main pressure", 1200 feet of 1" anything will destroy the dynamic pressure, AND, inertia can cause a reverse water hammer any time they use a quick opening valve.

oops

missed the 1200' aspect

yeah, i agree, the last 35' before the house matters little, if at all

(@ hj - the world may now come to an end)

Author: Lorensr (CA)

To CSCJJD: Starting with 50 PSI at the meter will limit you and 900 feet of pipe will cause a lot of friction loss and volume will suffer because of that. Ideally start with 1 1/4" at the meter so you can get more volume to your home. Really it depends on what your purpose for the water is. IE Irrigation, fire protection, etc.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.