Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can I just make my own nipple dip tube?
Author: cessnat37

Hello,

My electric hot water heater tank is AO Smith model# E6-50R45DV 110. Serial# is 1849112897919.I need to replace the nipple/dip tube combo.

The replacement part for this is 100270743.
3/4 Inch NPT
40.5 inch length and .65 inch diameter dip tube
5 inch long nipple

The price they charge for this seems like a rip-off if you ask me. Can I make my own nipple/dip tube and save money?

Re: Can I just make my own nipple dip tube?
Author: bsipps (PA)

The nipple is 3/4” the dip tube is thinner so it can fit through the cold port to my knowledge you cannot make your own dip tube using standard plumbing materials

Author: bernabeu (SC)

shop around

the prices vary by almost 100%

you could NOT build it yourself cheaper

[www.bing.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

if it were me, i would just make my own set up.

dip tube about 3-4 bucks and the appropriate size stainless nipple. also about 3-4 bucks

[Stongue sticking out smileyaid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231&gclid=CjwKCAiA55mPBhBOEiwANmzoQmhbW_8dSi4xyGDr3eKt8w99ckAdaw3Nnzd7FmxZLMKxVxbGvi_mXhoCvQYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.grainger.com]

note the gasket and flare at the top
this not a home made replacement.
[pipingnow.com] stainless nipple will give you better flow and last longer than the heater

packy,

that is only ONE of the dip tubes on that page

MOST of the OTHER tubes are way way more expensive

I found the OP's part number for UNDER $25 SHIPPED on the referenced 'Bing' search.

Author: Curly (CA)

Could he just reconfigure the piping and have the cold feed go through the drain port , eliminate dip tube and plug off the cold feed on top of the heater ?

Of across make sure there are not dead end runs......

The cheapest I could find is about $33 with shipping. And they're out of stock till next month.

Author: hj (AZ)

We used to make them with piece of 1/2" soft copper with a flare on the end so it did not drop into the tank. In the 50s Rheem water heaters had a problem with their dip tubes and we had to take them out and replace them with the tubing.

Author: NoHub (MA)

I remember making your own by flaring out copper.

40-50" of 1/2" (nominal) Cu

Torch to anneal end for flaring

Flaring tool

Nipple

? what would that add up to for a DIYer ?

From reading all your responses and looking online,I don't see evidence of significant savings in making it myself.
Chances are I would have to go to a plumbing supply place which charge high prices. I'll have to get it at one of the big box stores.Thanks

Author: hj (AZ)

You do not have to anneal soft copper,

correct

but

? where can one buy 40-50" of 'soft' a/k/a annealed copper ?

HOWEVER:

48" - cut to length

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

available through our sponsor - under $10 (+ shipping)

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.