Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 What makes a better connection soldered copper, propress or pex?
Author: ericsarratt (NC)

I am curious what long-time plumbers are using.

Edited 1 times.

Re: What makes a better connection soldered copper, propress or pex?
Author: packy (MA)

thats a hard question to answer.
we all have our favorites.

Author: ericsarratt (NC)

I follow.

Is soldered copper still used much for new construction?

I heard about pex for years, but now propress seems to be mentioned quite a bit.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bsipps (PA)

I like pex because of the easy install

If it were my own house i would solder

Author: bernabeu (SC)

solder and "L" tube

"M" tube was 'originally' for closed systems with low velocity and little 'fresh' water which introduces 'new' oxygen

HOWEVER

not all water conditions are suitable for Cu tube

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: sum (FL)

I think you are mixing piping materials and connection methods.

There are many piping materials such as copper, PEX, CPVC, polybutylene, galvanized etc...polybutylene is now banned. Copper has soft copper and hard copper, and hard copper has types M, L, K. PEX has PEX-A, PEX-B, PEX-C. I got the impression that if cost is not an issue, and time is of abundance, most plumbers would choose copper all the way. But PEX has an advantage because you can buy it in large rolls and eliminate intermediate joints altogether, and it is flexible enough to go through tight spaces like attics and crawlspaces, with no need to fire up a blow torch.

Then the connection methods. These are specific to the piping materials. If you are connecting copper to copper, you can solder, braze, you can use a compression, a ProPress, a Sharkbite, a flared, there was even some glued copper kits I have seen. To join CPVC you can solvent weld or use Sharkbites. To join galvanized you have to use threaded connections or IPS sized compression "meter box" couplings. PEX-A tubing are joined typically with cold expansion, PEX-B can be connected with a crimp ring, or a cinch ring. I heard that you can crimp PEX-A but that may void the manufacturer's warranty, and you can also join PEX tubing with Sharkbites but I think it read somewhere that it's better with a "stiffener".

It becomes more complicated when you have to transition from one material to the other, like copper to PEX, or PEX-A to PEX-B, or CPVC to copper. That's when the adapters and transition couplings come out. I think this is why Sharkbites are so popular nowadays because it works with all CTS sized piping in a tight space with no need for any tool, chemicals/solvent or flame, but it's reliability is still a big question.

Edited 1 times.

sum,

perfect

Author: LI Guy (IN)

I don't get why SharkBite fittings are still characterized as "unproven". They have been around for 20 years now and are code-approved by both UPC and IPC for in-wall, underground, and concealed uses. Yes, they are expensive but boy do they make the job go quick.

[www.sharkbite.com]

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Author: hj (AZ)

Orangeburg drainlines, Polybutylene water lines, Transite ACP water mains, etc. have ALL been "approved" at one time or the other, but WHERE ARE THEY NOW? Approval has little to do with long term performance.

Author: LI Guy (IN)

How long does it have to go to demonstrate "long term" performance? 100 years? Even cast iron doesn't last that long....

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Author: NoHub (MA)

LI Guy, ask any service Plumber and they will tell you about the problems these things cause.

Author: Chuck From York (PA)

At one time copper was the best choice but the labor and material costs is causing it to dwindle in use. PEX "B" piping seems to be the way to go now by professional plumbers. We have used PEX for years now and it is reliable and not as labor intense.

Edited 1 times.

it is equally, if not more, labor intense IF INSTALLED AND SUPPORTED PROPERLY

it simply requires much LESS skill and experience to install 'so that it works'

said skill and experience costs more per hour so the total job is more 'labor expensive' even though the labor 'time' may be equivalent

IMO

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.