Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Tub spout replacement
Author: sum (FL)

I have a rental apartment with a tub spout and it's diverter broke.

I ordered a new spout with Moen. In the mean time, I removed the old spout, then threaded a hose bibb onto the 1/2" nipple instead so they can continue to use the shower.

Now that I have the new spout I called the tenant to say I will be stopping by to install the new spout. They said don't worry it's fine, what do you mean it's fine? They said they like the hose bibb better. They never use the tub for bathing, they always used the shower only. With the hose bibb they turned the bibb off, permanently, then when they turn on the shower it goes straight to the shower, they no longer need to pull the knob to divert each time, only to see 95% of the water runs up and 5% of the water slowly leaks out of the spout. They think my hose bibb workaround is a "significant" improvement.

OK so what should I do? I am not sure if this is to code, can a hose bibb be used in place of a tub spout as a "permanent" thing till they move out whenever that may be? I think I need to change it back to a normal tub spout, right?

Re: Tub spout replacement
Author: packy (MA)

the reason the spout leaks by is done on purpose.
it is done so that under a different scenario there can not be a cross connection between hot and cold.
i don't see any harm the way they want to use it.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

make sure any 'caulking' is water-tight around the hose bib

change to a regular spout after they move

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Packy, can you expand on the cross connection? What is a different scenario in which the leaky spout prevents the cross connection?

Author: packy (MA)

if someone has one of those water saving shower heads that can be shut off.
people get wet, shut off the head, soap up, turn the head back on etc..
in this case the peerson may set the shower valve to a temperature they like, shut the hose faucet at the spout, take their shower and just shut the head off. this will leave the shower valve in the open posution but nothing will come out top or bottom.
this is a classic cross connection. the shower valve is on but no water comes out.

this is the reason that diverter tub spouts leak slightly. this way the person HAS to shut the shower valve..

Author: sum (FL)

I think I want to put the spout back on, even though it means they have to go back to bending over to divert the flow to the shower.

The tub spout is a thick piece of metal. My current workaround is a skinny 1/2" nipple sticking out 4.5" from the wall, then a hose bibb that is anther 4" or so in length. If someone pushes the hose bibb down or sideway because they slip in the tub or their knees bump into it, it may stress it too much to the point that the joint behind the wall may get damaged. The tub spout being wider and thicker will transfer some of that stress onto the tile wall instead. I really don't like this thing being "permanent" even if it means 3 to 6 months.

if the tennant REALLY likes no spout:

replace with a chrome nipple and cap just like a shower arm but as flush as possible

about $15 in parts

give the tenant the option to pay for the parts

Author: hj (AZ)

That is NOT the reason most diverter spouts leak. They leak because the water in the riser keep the diverter closed. By leaking the diverter will eventually open and NOT hit the next user with a slug of cold water. Spring loaded diverts, such as the Delta "pull down ones" do NOT leak in the diverted position.

ditto

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.