Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How to size a Sewage Grinder Pump Package
Author: RichInKY (KY)

Hello -- New here and 1st post here -- Planning to build a new 4 bedroom 4 bath home with laundry room and built-in dishwasher. The septic permit inspector doing the perk test and pre-approval prior to getting a building permit, came back with denial of the preferred location for the drain (leach) field that I had ask for.

The inspector basically said to relocate the house to the adjoining lot (NOT what I want) and or use a portion of that lot as the leach field which would require me to use a Pressurized Sewer Installation using a Sewage Grinder Pump Station (which I prefer to do a direct burial outside of the walk-out basement (which also has a bathroom and floor drains).

My question gets down to how do I determine the size of the Sewer Grinder Pump Package? There are many sizes of tanks (and materials i.e. fiberglass or plastic) and then there is the size of the pump based on Horse Power (HP) and also on GPM (Gallons Per Minute), and also on "HEAD" or LIFT (or distance/run) from tank to field?

Secondly, will there need to be a septic tank at the drain field location prior to the effluent being distributed in the drain field pipes (or the plastic septic leaching chambers)??

I know this is a lot to ask, but I would like to know if the plumbers here can help guide me in the right direction! Thank you! RichInKY

Re: How to size a Sewage Grinder Pump Package
Author: DaveMill (CA)

Consider buying a prepackaged sewage grinder system. Far less trouble in the long run. The site sponsor sells them here:
[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Thanks David == That is what I am looking to do --- My questions are all asking about how that PACKAGED SYSTEM gets sized out and was hoping to be able to get some answers to those particular questions I listed, Thanks

Edited 1 times.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

Much depends on your system design, specifically the septic tank arrangement. My last house had a two-chamber septic with a third pump chamber tank that pumped uphill to the leach field. Even if all three toilets were flushed simultaneously while a shower was running, the capacity of the septic tank was sufficient to buffer the flow, so a 1/2 horsepower pump was more than adequate. If there is no tank between the bathrooms and the grinder pump to buffer the flow, you'll need pump with sufficient capacity to handle that max load on demand. Head (how many feet uphill you need to pump) is the other major issue.

In my county, engineered plans are required for septic systems. Homeowners cannot submit these themselves. We just get to fix them later (25 years later in my case).

Edited 3 times.

Author: packy (MA)

determine which system manufacturer you want tu use and contact their engineering department ..
they will be able to help you size a system for your needs.
it will also go a long way with the inspector if he/she knows the company told you what you need.

Re: How to size a Sewage Grinder Pump Package clap

Thank you

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.