Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Tell me about water hammer arrestors for washing machine valves
Author: ericsarratt (NC)

I keep noticing that some washing machine box valves have water hammer arrestors. I am unfamiliar with this product.

When are they necessary?

Re: Tell me about water hammer arrestors for washing machine valves
Author: RichInKY (KY)

Hydraulic shock (colloquial: "water hammer"; fluid hammer) is a pressure surge or wave caused when a fluid in motion, usually a liquid but sometimes also a gas is forced to stop or change direction suddenly; a momentum change. This phenomenon commonly occurs when a valve closes suddenly at an end of a pipeline system, and a pressure wave propagates in the pipe.

With a Washing Machine that has a control device that lets water in to fill the washer, can often cause a water hammer due to the suddenness of the water valve on the washer opening and closing and mostly happens on the abrupt closing of the inlet valve on the machine - which then transfers back to the piping of the house and will cause a jolt effect which may sound like a bang or a slap.

If the cost is not prohibitive I would buy the ones with the small silver tubes on top of the shut off valves like the ones shown here: [www.amazon.com]

Edited 2 times.

Author: Lorensr (CA)

I was a plumber at a Nuclear Power Plant north of San Diego, CA and
we had 42" Steam Lines that would Steam Water Hammer from time to time
and it litterally shook the heavy Steal Beam Structure and made a very
loud noise. It would scare the crap out of everyone on the structure. The
noise was deffening.

Author: ericsarratt (NC)

Thank you!

The house has a water pressure tank installed. Will the action of the diaphragm in the tank do the same thing as a water hammer arrestor? Or does one tend to also need an arrestor?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Lorensr (CA),

steam condensate 'flash' is NOT water hammer

please do not confuse the OP

former fitter/plumber @ Seabrook Station, NH and several other large industrial projects

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

the closer to the offending fixture the water hammer arrestor is, the better it will work.

Author: hj (AZ)

Not the same,but a plant in Chicago's South suburbs had along 6" steam line in a concrete channel and the elbow turning up out of it was close to the concrete at the end. When they fired up the steam in the morning, the pipe would expand so rapidly that the elbow hammered against the concrete making a horrendous "bang". finally, after many years the elbow cracked.

....... sounds like a failed steam (condensate) trap at the 'upturn'

... failed AND ignored

HOWEVER

it was not the 'flash over' that broke the elbow but the mechanical banging against the concrete, said movement because of 'probably' failed expansion devices and/or improper pipe restraints

more than y'all wanted, or need, to know about 'steam hammer':

[invenoeng.com]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.