Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Move toilet drain 8" to left
Author: Joey (GA)

[i.postimg.cc]

Re: Move toilet drain 8" to left
Author: steve (CA)

To be legal, you should use a reducing 90*(closet bend) like the original installation. Maybe 45* the drain pipe towards the new location instead of the second 90*?

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, the pipe under the ground is 3 INCH..

Author: Lorensr (CA)

Actually the way he has it should work fine. He can use an auger if he needs to. I don't see a problem.

Not code compliant to reduce a drain pipe size, except for the closet bend fitting(like as shown in the original installation).

Author: Lorensr (CA)

Steve I did not address code compliance, I said it would work fine. You are correct about the use of 4x3 fittings though.

All of the original piping is 4". My mockup is 4" to 3". I thought this was compliant, but was not sure about the 4" connection that is a 90.

Thanks for the responses.

The original drain pipe is 3".

Sorry Steve, you are correct. The drain pipe is 3".

Are you saying that my mockup: Flange / 3" x 4" to 4" 90 is not compliant? Because of the 3 X 4 or the 4" 90 buried elbow?

Thanks

Author: sum (FL)

going from 4" to 3" downstream is not allowed, you can increase in pipe size as you go downstream but not decrease. The 4X3 closet elbow for the toilet is one exception. Not a pro here so wait for the pros to weight in.

Sum is correct.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

correct

the 4x3 must be the ell connected to the toilet ONLY

soooo.............

use a 4x3 'rolled' at 45 degrees and a 3" 45 el 'downstream'

the 'run' length C-C for an 8" offset is 11-1/4"

from the C-C you will need to subtract the 'fitting allowances' to cut the 'filler' run piece

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Re: Move toilet drain 8" to left clap

Thanks for all the replies!

I have a new mockup using 2 3" 90's. I will also look at Bernabeu's design tomorrow. I also have a plan with a 45 flange and 2 45's off that, but seems a little complicated to set the pipes and get the flange level after the tile is added.

[i.postimg.cc]

Edited 1 times.

Author: sum (FL)

bernabeu's design uses a 45 instead of a 90.

In terms of actually executing the install, make sure you have enough room to actually slide the fitting(s) in. You can cement the fittings in one piece at a time, and the very last piece need room to slide on. Your design needs room on the right side of the camera (which seems very tight), bernabeu's design needs room in the upper right side of the camera (which also seems very tight). However, if you pre-assemble the entire contraption first, and only slide it on where you will make a cut, then you need room on the far side of the camera (shown in red arrows), and it looks like you do have some room there. You don't want to have to break two more inches of the slab because you need room for the slide on.

Edited 1 times.

Thanks again everyone!

It seems a buried 90 is bad so I will use Bernabeu's design. I'll pick up a piece of 3" tomorrow to extend the mockup below. It appears I will need to remove some additional concrete toward the front but will eliminate the second 90.

[i.postimg.cc]

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

perfect

remove enough concrete to give yourself room to make a PERFECTLY square cut so the fitting will bottom out EVENLY giving you a 'smooth integral bore' w/o any 'catch points'

measure the depth of the socket and mark the pipe with a magic marker so that you are SURE the joint 'bottoms'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.