Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Mixet Shower Valve Cartridge Replacement On a pre-1968 faucet
Author: Elene (AZ)

Hello, I am grateful to have found this site. I had someone change my Mixet Shower Faucet. It is one with the Big Ball for the temperature adjustment, not the little Flat one. I think this means it is a pre-1968 although the house was built in 1980. Well, after he was done and we discovered the temperature wouldn't regulate (I don't think there was any hot water at all no matter what the position.) He told me that it was the cartridge, and explained to me where it was at. I have a fiberglass shower/tub deal. He told me we would have to take my kitchen cabinets off the rear wall to get at it. Do I have a pre-1968 valve? I'm trying to make sense of this. I saw a video where a man was replacing a Mixet cartridge (I believe he said it was the newer Post-1968 one).... it had the Flat temperature regulator style and he was able to pull the cartridge right out. Easy as pie. Is that possible with the type I have -- the one with the Big Ball temperature regulator? (I may not be using the right words, but I hope you can understandsmiling smiley If I have no choice but to take the kitchen cabinets off the back of the wall, can we get at it by just taking off the upper cabinets? Do I have any other options? Considering I have this preformed fiberglass tub, would this possibility I have thought of even work - to install another make of cartridge and change out the whole shower valve assembly? I would do it if it would mean I would never have to go through the whole cabinet removal process again..when the cartridge gives out again another 42 years from now? when I am 107? ...and (ugh!) if we did that, would I have to remove the lower cabinets, (to have him weld and so forth?) Just askin'...

Re: Mixet Shower Valve Cartridge Replacement On a pre-1968 faucet
Author: hj (AZ)

The ONLY reason to take the cabinets off would be to change the entire valve and the plumber was NOT able to do it from the tub side, (which many plumbers can do). I do not know what you mean by "ball type" since I only know of two Mixets. A long one and a short one, but they look similar and are not interchangeable.

Author: Curly (CA)

Generally speaking a new cartridge will solve your problem.

Before removing cabinets - he should try a new cartridge. Mixet cartridges can be a little funky to work with - if I remember correctly you want the bottom part of the cartridge tight against the rest of the cartridge.

Link to different Mixet parts our sponsor sells...

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

If in fact the whole valve does have to be changed it can be done from inside the shower, normally through existing hole. If he needs a bigger hole you can use a remodel plate like our sponsor sells.....

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

If your plumber can't change out valve with remodel plate get a new plumber. He really should be able to do it without remodel plate. Takes awhile but do able.

If you can send picture of your existing set up that would help.

Hi Curly, thank you for your prompt and helpful response.. On the link you sent, the parts for my set up are the picture -- #20 -- MDXTR-5 Comprised of 12,13,14.. that big knob, is what I was calling the Big ball.. I didn't know how else to describe it.. I have a different plumber looking at it... yep.. hope it's not the valve.. (if I've got that much right!) Sorry couldn't send a picture. If you have anything further to add, it will be much appreciated! Thank you.

Thank you for adding to my understanding.. I posted a reply to Curly where he posted a link in his response that goes to the diagram of the various Mixet assemblies and trim kits Mine is the #20 in the diagram.. The knob is large and looks like a big ball, that's all I could think of to describe it. If you have any further advice, it will be appreciated.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.