Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 rough in shower valve
Author: Teresa (PA)

Have been reading on this site about upside down valve placement to increase flow to shower. At least one person has been successful doing this winking smiley Am considering using a Delta system, but with one significant difference: the bottom port actually will go to a tub spout. Will this work? In my opinion, this spout is not really necessary anyway; it will be installed in a shower (only). DH thinks it will help to drain water from the shower and prevent dripping. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: rough in shower valve
Author: bernabeu (SC)

IMO:

fuh-ged-bout-it

shower head flow is limited by the shower head itself

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

you can actually mount the spout down low and use it as a "toe tester".
yeah, check the water temperature with your foot and when you are happy with the temperature, switch it to shower.

a/k/a

'self inflicted ankle ripping device'

self inflicted as in 'installed by choice'

Author: hj (AZ)

1. for a "shower only" install, I ALWAYS installed the valve upside down, IF it was 180 degrees symetrical (Moen for one is NOT).
2. When given the option, by the customer, I then "always" installed a diverter spout, 18" above the floor, as a "toe tester" and to eliminate that first shot of cold water that empties the riser in a shower only setup.
3.In I don't know how many years, I have NEVER "injured my ankle" on the diverter spout, and think you would have to really work to do so.

.... i guess no one has ever fallen in a shower ....

banging one's head on a smooth hard surface is bad enough ......................

(same principle behind the NOW required folding car outside mirrors)

SHEEEEEZ

Author: NP16 (OR)

quote: I ALWAYS installed the valve upside down

seriously? that's the oddest thing I've seen on here lately. lol.

I am not a designer but a tub spout in a walk-in shower is just not a good look and not necessary.

Bringing 3/4" water piping to this valve and installing a Delta high flow shower only valve will guarantee plenty of water even from a rain head type shower.

IF the shower valve is installed conventionally, the flow is limited to the amount of water that can flow UP THROUFH the small bypass tube inside the valve, REGARDLESS of how large the supply piping is. Inverting the valve allows the full flow through the valve to enter the riser pipe. IN ADDITION, I have many valves where debris has accumulated on the plug closing the spout port which obstructs the flow up to the riser shutting off ALL flow to the head
Car mirror retract because they are a prime target for grocery carts and vandalism. If I were falling I would hope there was a mirror I could grab on to.

car mirrors fold in case they hit a pedestrian to minimise injuries

period

as per DOT and the NHTSA

We were talking about different things. I was referring to the ones that automatically retract when the key is turned off, not the ones that fold back when hit while the vehicle is moving.

Author: Curly (CA)

I really like the folding mirrors because when I'm in drive through picking up my latest gourmet meal and I'm too busy texting and talking on the phone, digging for change, trying to find my wallet, putting on my mask, 5 pairs of rubber gloves, fending off the homeless guy begging for money through my passenger side window I sometimes run into the side of the building and my mirror folds in, no harm done, I get my food and off I go.

Merry Christmas Everybody........santa

Author: packy (MA)

"gourmet meal " with etxtra ketchup..
Mery Christmas to all..

Author: Teresa (PA)

Thanks for your replies. Packy,do you know what shower door this is in your photo? We need something like this for our other shower (not enough room to swing a full size door).

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Theresa, that is probably a custom made shower enclosure. There are companies that specialize in shower doors/enclosures or check with a local glass/window shop and see if they do shower doors.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.