Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Plumber says I have a water leak after my foundation repair.
Author: App (TX)

We just had our foundation repaired. It was only raised .8" so not a major adjustment. Now their plumber has come out and is saying I have a water leak, giving me pressure drop readings over a 10min period. After he left I checked the water meter and it is completely still, no spinning at all. My own plumber told me that if the little wheel is still, then there's no water running and no leak. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks

Re: Plumber says I have a water leak after my foundation repair.
Author: packy (MA)

Pressure drop = leak
No wheel spinning = no leak.

Author: sharp1 (IL)

Is your water meter inside your foundation or is it in the yard outside the foundation? In other words, is the meter before or after where the foundation repair was made?

Thank you. I called the plumber that did the pressure test and they explained that the meter does not indicate a water leak. That the meter can be stopped and there is still a leak. Is there a scenario where this could be true or are they wrong? They explained it like it could be possible.

The meter is out by the sidewalk by the road, so way outside the foundation. Thanks

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

It is possible to have a SMALL leak after the meter w/o the 'leak detector' dial moving.

Think in terms of a 'pin hole'.

Finding said leak is oft challenging.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

I thought of that but the test report is saying that the pressure dropped from 63PSI at the start to 17PSI after 10 minutes. Could a pinhole create that much of a pressure drop in such a short time? Thanks

Re: Plumber says I have a water l, eak after my foundation repair.
Author: Lorensr (CA)

"Could a pinhole create that much of a pressure drop in such a short time? Thanks"

On a very small system, think 20 feet of 1/2" copper tube, Yes it would show up right away. On a whole house system of copper piping, it could take a few minutes. Another part of the equasion is your water pressure. How much is it?

Edited 2 times.

so, either the meter is defective and the gauge is correct in that there is a leak.
or, the meter is correct in that there is no leak but the gauge/ test set up is defective.
you can get an inexpensive test gauge to attach to a hose faucet and do your own detective work.

Thank you. I think I'll try picking up a pressure gauge and check myself. I did test the meter to make sure it was working by trickling water in the kitchen. It's pretty sensitive to even a small amount.

Author: sharp1 (IL)

I wonder if the company plumber installed the pressure gauge, turned off the main at the meter, and then the icemaker drew some water to cause the drop in pressure. If you have an expansion tank at the water heater, with the main shut off, it will work just like a miniature well pressure tank to supply a small amount of water and the pressure will drop when any valve in the house opens.

Author: steve (CA)

Why was the water test done in the first place?

to be certain that 'jacking the foundation' did NOT create a leak

it was nice of them to inform of a 'found' leak ?elsewhere?

no found leak. yet..
gauge dropped in pressure but the super sensitive water meter leak detector wheel says no.

maybe

maybe not

only the piping knows for sure

Author: sum (FL)

I too think a retest is necessary.

If usage inside the house confirms the meter is spinning, then more than likely the meter is working.

I would also suggest a longer period of observation of the meter reading. Find a day that you will leave the house for the whole day or half a day. Right before you leave, turn off as many individual fixture valves as possible, the icemaker valve that may use water, the dishwasher that may be on a timer, the washing machine that may be on a time delayed wash, sprinkler controller may be doing drop irrigation, toilets that may lose water via a leaky flush valve and triggers the fill valve to open etc etc etc, then record the meter reading. After a few hours come back and look at the meter reading again.

Get one of those hose bibb pressure gauge and do your own pressure drop testing.

Author: ABetterPlumber (TX)

Sometimes if the leak is small enough. The meter will not spin indicating water is being used. Instead it will stay still until you open a faucet, than it will spin fast and catch up with the lost water. I’ve seen to many meters do this. But testing with a gauge won’t lie to you. If gauge indicates water loss. Than your losing water. Turn off all your toilet and sink stops. Turn off washer valves and ice maker valves. Test it again. Check all outside faucets for leaks. Make sure your tubs and showers don’t drip. Check water heater T&p drain make sure it’s not bypassing. If you have a water softener make sure no water is going through drain. Turn valve off at water heater test again to
Determine if it’s a hot line or cold line.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.