Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 New Moen Kitchen Faucet Leaks!
Author: 120volts (CA)

I replaced a kitchen faucet with a Moen Brecklyn model 10 months ago and now it's leaking internally and from the top of the BASE (no leak undersink). It's a constant leak whether the faucet is on or off.

What the heck?

I called Moen for warranty but had to make a phone appointment for three days later. We couldn't wait, so I replaced the faucet with something else.

I'm just curious of why it leaked and what I could have done next time to fix it.

Re: New Moen Kitchen Faucet Leaks!
Author: steve (CA)

Early this year I had the same model leak after 6 months. The one I installed leaked from underneath into the cabinet. Tenant didn't notice it until after the new cabinet floor got damaged. I installed a different brand after seeing many complaints for that model leaking shortly after installation.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

let me make a wild a**ed guess: ? bought at a big store ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: sum (FL)

oh no, I just installed a Moen Brecklyn model after a Pfister faucet broke! It was installed in October 2021 so I should expect a leak in April 2022?

This one 87557SRS right?

@Sum: Yes, that's the same model (mine is chrome).

I don't understand the phone appointment, are they so busy they have no one to answer the phone or you spoke to someone already and had to "escalate" the issue to a specialty faucet expert who works part time at home so appointments have to be made?

I just had a Moen tub spout issue (typical diverter not closing the spout 100%) I didn't call but sent an email with problem description and pictures. Because in the past when I called they have always asked for pictures to prove I have the product with the issue.

I wonder if it is the supply tubing connections to the base. May be a washer gasket is worn or something like that.

@Sum:

I had the customer call so I'm relying on their accuracy of contacting them. I've never had to make an appointment before either.

yep, big box store $99 junk

"Moen, now made for cheap box store retail."

the part # is XXXX-HD sold at the big box store NOT XXXX sold at the plumbing supply
[www.moen.com]

check the 40, yes FORTY, 1 star reviews on the moen site for this faucet which is sold @ HD & Amazon
[www.moen.com]

Author: packy (MA)

bern, it is time you get into the modern era of running a plumbing business.
you learn to compete with HD and amazon or you close up shop and go to work for a big union shop and cut threads for the next 25 years.
i have had many jobs where the customer calls and tells me they have new fixtures and will i install them?
so you either adapt and make a decent living or you wait for the phone to ring.
BTW, not everything sold over the internet is "JUNK"

I also think that "junk" is subjective.

I have had stuff from China that is of excellent quality, and I have had German made stuff that's junk.

I just had a French faucet made by Rubinet failed, and have to order a cartridge from Canada, and it will take at least 7-10 business days to get here, the pair of cartridges cost $85 including shipping. For $85 I probably could get a new faucet of a "lesser" quality, and that's a $500 faucet.

I have a German made Dorn Brancht faucet, I bought it in 2008 I think it was on sale for $375. Since then I have replaced the cartridges twice, the pop up drain and handle brush nickle finish tarnished and rusted and had to be replaced also twice. I had to call the retailer in Miami where I bought it from to special order these items, Dorn Brancht wouldn't even talk to me as I am a mere "consumer". Takes a month to get replacement.

I am not convinced these are "better" faucets being 3X more expensive and "looks" higher quality, not made in China.

At least with the popular brands, like Moen, Kohler, Delta, Pfister that I use a lot in my rentals, when things break I can get parts without hassle, and most of the time it's sent for free without hoops to jump through, and there is a higher likelihood that you may find parts at stores that open on weekends.

my point is that the kohlers, moens, pfisters, etc. sold in the big box stores "off the shelf" are NOT, repeat NOT, the same items sold at the plumbing supply houses

this thread is a 'case in point' as the faucet in question is ONLY available from the big box or amazon

the big box stores WILL 'special order' the fixture of your choice, but, the price will be comparable to that of the supply house

BUT

if y'all are satisfied .............................................. tongue sticking out smiley

Author: packy (MA)

so what am i as a business owner supposed to do? put a sign on the shop door "i will not perform plumbing/heating/gas work for anyony who purchases their own material from home depot"?

i'd be eating hamburger helper for christmas dinner..

What's wrong with hamburger helper? Steakumm is even better laughing

packy,

you simply INFORM the customer that you will NOT warranty work performed using 'their' parts

you point out that the cost of the labor on an 'el cheapo' fixture is not cost effective

you EDUCATE the customer

annecdote:

back in the late 60s PF came out with the 'first' no tools needed faucet

people rushed out and bought them

they then hired a plumber to remove the old one

tongue sticking out smiley

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.