Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 MoenValve won 't stop leaking
Author: Lorensr (CA)

Hey Plumbers I have an older approx 30 ywars old Moen shower valve that won't stop leaking. It has a steady flow.
I will describe the valve. It has a blue and red color across the top arc. It has a plastic handle and a push pull
lever on the bottom of the flange. I called Moen to get a replacement but will not arrice until Wednesday, 2 days so I have to turn the main off until we need to flush the toilet. Any suggestions would be apperciated. With the recent Tornados the say it could be delayed. Thanks for any ideas.

Edited 1 times.

Re: MoenValve won 't stop leaking
Author: packy (MA)

it might cause a cross connection but you can always cap the shower arm.

Not an option. She mostly showers. Thanks for the suggestion.

well then put a ball valve rather than a cap..

Author: bsipps (PA)

Can you install shutoffs in the access panel behind the shower before the moen rough in

why not !!!!

It is a 2x4 wall Tiled with the toilet on .he other side of the wall also a vent interferes. Thanhks for the suggestions. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

fire the architect

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

New repair parts from Moen will be here before 8 PM

Author: hj (AZ)

PRobably because there is no access panel.

AN architect for a tract home? I have NOT SEEN an access panel in a new home building for the last 65 years

noooooo, the architect who DESIGNED the tract homes

or

the 'architect' who designed the 'rehab' or 'upgrade'

or

WHOEVER designed a TILED ON BOTH SIDES separating wall

as opposed to 'industry standards' of baths backing a closet so the wall can be opened and/or the access panel hidden

(i used the term architect in a loose generic way)

"INDUSTRY STANDARD"? That's a laugh. MOST homes are built with wall dividing two bathrooms, making an access panel impractical, and/or "expensive" for builders saving every penny.

Edited 1 times.

frowning

sad, but true

builders saving

purchasers PAYING more (later) than was 'saved'

frowning

Moen sent the wrong cartridge but will next day mail out the correct cartridge since I already paid a 25 dollar shipping charge. I installed the valve in the late 80s.
Update:Moen sent a new CARTRIDGE AND HANDLE! GOOD ON MOEN

Edited 1 times.

bern, sad but true BUT builders are supposed to make money.
unlike the massachusetts 'big dig'

"The original estimated cost was $2.8 billion."

"The Boston Globe estimates the Big Dig will ultimately cost $22 billion (with interest) and that it won’t be paid for until 2038."

bern, i have worked in my share of new homes. some small and inexpensive and some MCmansions.

when offered the choice of looking at an access panel for 25-30 years until needed OR just cutting one in when actually needed, their choice was unanimous. cut it in when necessary. resulting increase in cost being minimal.

correct

BUT

said panel would most likely be in a bedroom closet

NOT

in a 'back-to-back' tiled and exposed wall

AGAIN: architectural design comes into play

Author: sum (FL)

yes a ball valve between the shower arm and the shower head will be the easiest solution and most convenient.

Author: NoHub (MA)

I'm with Packy....against all Plumbing codes,will cause a cross connection.

Author: steve_g (CA)

If the water's off, pull the old cartridge (which may require a special tool as they get really stuck) take it to a box box store and match it up. Likely to cost around $25. When the one shows up from Moen, you'll have a spare.

Thanks Steve thats what I did.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.