Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Recirculation pump
Author: jim97219 (OR)

First posting here so thanks in advance to everyone. I'm going to install a recirculating pump in my house with a dedicated return line. To control the pump, I'm considering one of these [www.smartrecirculationcontrol.com]. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them. To cycle the pump, simply open the hot water valve then close it. The unit senses the temperature change in the water and cycles the pump. Open the hot water valve again right away and you have hot water at the valve. Do they work as advertised? It seems a really simple way to control the hot water, one that doesn't require any wiring nor reliance on wireless.

Second, any thoughts/recommendations on a recirculation pump? Between Taco, Grundfos, Laing, and Watts, does one stand out? Lines are 3/4" and the max distance from the water heater to the farthest valve is about 45 "pipe-feet."

Thanks!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Recirculation pump
Author: packy (MA)

pumps in this order

1) grundfos

2) taco

3) watts

4) laing

as for the controler, it seems to make sense to me.

Re: Recirculation pump thumbs

Thanks, Packy. Grundfos it is. I'm supposed to hear from my plumber tomorrow so will try to get him to use a Grundfos.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

nooooooooooooooooooo

you SPECIFY the pump YOU want installed

..... or the EQUIVALENT equal .....

grinning smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

bernabeu, thanks for your input. I do appreciate it and you're an asset to this forum.

I've done my research and have come to the conclusion that Grundfos is the brand I want to go with. My plumber suggests installing this 2 GPM pump [product-selection.grundfos.com]

I've also found this 6 GPM pump [product-selection.grundfos.com]

My water heater is about 55 pipe-feet from the farthest valve, which is the shower head at the far end. Of that 55', maybe eight feet are vertical, from the basement where the water heater is to the aforementioned showerhead.

From this site [www.rhomarwater.com], 55' of water in a 3/4" line is about a gallon and a quarter. Therefore, my plumber's suggested pump would take about thirty or so seconds to move the water that 55'. That's a marked improvement over what I have now but with the pump I've found, it would take about ten seconds.

My questions are this: One, is using GPM the right way to compare the two? Or is there more to it than that?
Second, both my plumber's pump and my pump both offer features I don't need, my plumber's with the auto-adapt feature and mine with the timer. All I need is a pump that can be turned on and off; This unit is what I plan to control it with [www.smartrecirculationcontrol.com]
Open the valve for a second, it senses the temperature change in the water and cycles the pump so no need for a timer nor auto-adapt features.
Other features that matter to me would be to be able to repair the pump easily when the time comes, as in swap out a cartridge and get things back working again quickly.
A stainless steel or bronze body would be better than cast iron for this application.
From what I can tell from Grundfos's circulation pump offerings, the two my plumber and I have picked would be the ones. But there are so many, it's overwhelming. Here's a link and it's quite possible Grundfos offers more.
[product-selection.grundfos.com]
Given the the parameters and my preferences, would there be a better pump from Grundfos?
Thanks in advance.

Bump

Author: bernabeu (SC)

COMFORT 10-16 T PM BU/LC - 1/2" NPT connections, corded - plug into a switched receptacle, integral check

stocked item

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.