Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 gurgling sound in kitchen sink
Author: tgriffin7 (IN)

Hello, I need some advice on my current situation. I tied my sump pump to my main drain coming from my kitchen sink heading to main line going out of the house. I did this because I found the person that owned the house before me had it running to the septic tank any ways and the lines where leaking. So my plan is to let it run this way for the winter and fix it right later on. You see the perimeter drain goes into my basement sump pump area and I have to have a way to get the water out. Right now though I can hear in my kitchen sink every time the sump pump kicks on I can hear the gurgling and the sucking of the air. I cut the 1 1/2 drain line and put a tee there but it has a sweeping leg a street L something like that so the water flow from the sump does not just like dead head at the t. Below that maybe a few inches I have a 1 1/2 check valve and below that is a 2 inch union. I turned the t so the connection for the sump is at 11:00 with a couple 45's to kind a hold some water there like an s trap. I did it so close to the t so the pipe was not really heavy. I am wondering if I lower the check valve so there is more water above it would that do away with the noise I am hearing, I am worried the sucking is pulling the water out of my straps on my sink. Thanks for any help.

Re: gurgling sound in kitchen sink
Author: bsipps (PA)

Most sump pump discharges are piped outside the house and sloped away from the house or stored in an irrigation barrel, if it must be connected into the plumbing it should be tied in at the 4” main preferably 40” away from any other fittings serving a stack

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.