Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 shallow sewer line under driveway
Author: Marko1 (MO)

Hi again guys,
Apologies for the long backstory to get to my question...

I had to change grade to get slope for surface drainage for my driveway a couple years ago.
As a result the exterior 4" sewer line is now only about 8" below grade at the shallowest.
It was a gravel drive and I've been driving across it for the past couple years with no issue.
Now I'm putting concrete in so excavated 4" of gravel to allow for 4" concrete to get to same elevation.
The pipe is now broken at the high end where it goes under my rock retaining wall which is 2' tall and then under the house.
Either the weight of the skid steer or the vibraplate compactor apparently crushed/broke it.
It is the thin green sewer pipe they sell here for outdoor sewer line.
The concrete contractor says pouring conc over it will add weight and crush the pipe again.
He also says things that are not accurate so I don't trust completely his knowledge.
I say pouring concrete over it will protect it and bridge across the 4" span of the pipe itself and rest on the compacted subgrade each side of the pipe.
If I could drive over it when it was just gravel I'm sure concrete will be even more protective.

The Question:
Is there anything I can do to protect/strengthen the pipe?
Is there rubber pipe like fernco that would bend but not break if excess weight was applied in future?
Extra rebar across the area of the pipe?

Should I dig up the green and replace with sch40? I don't know why they use the thin green here instead of heavier pipe, but that's what I got talked into several years ago when I took out the broken clay and replaced with this plastic on the initial regrading project.

He's scheduled to pour tomorrow so I've got to do something quick...in addition to fixing the current break.
I'm stressing... hot smiley

Re: shallow sewer line under driveway
Author: bernabeu (SC)

you may NOT, repeat NOT, encase the sewer in the driveway

the sewer must EITHER

run UNDER the concrete

or

be agequately 'sleeved'

or

be protected by some sort of 'vault'

delay the pour until you have the issue resolved

you may very well REQUIRE a gravel drive

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

just run cast iron pipe you'll be fine.
P/S, cast iron should have been used in the first place.
have whoever does the job use extra heavy (XH) single hub bell and spigot pipe with rubber gaskets to seal the joints.

the gaskets look like this.

Author: sum (FL)

A couple of things.

Down where we are driveways need to be 6" thick. Also you need a compacted gravel base under the concrete so just excavating 4" for concrete will not be enough. You need to excavate more to build up with different aggregate bases to the bottom of the concrete.

You are saying the shallowest point the pipe is 8" below proposed finished concrete? or 8" below bottom of concrete? Does it mean the pipe will have 4" or less of fill under the concrete or 8" of fill?

I would take a different approach.

(1) Install 2X forms across along both sides of the pipe, leaving a 10"-12" wide gap with the pipe in the middle, exposed.
(2) Drill holes in the form on both sides to pass 5/8 or 3/4 rebars across the gap, with the rebars extending at least a foot or two into the soon to be poured sections. Do one rebar every 6 to 8 inches, then cross tie them inside the forms with another one or two rebars on each side. Set the rebars 2/3 down the concrete depth.
(3) Pour concrete as planned tomorrow. Leave the gap unpoured.
(4) After a few days, remove formwork, those pieces along the pipe gap has to be cut out since the rebars will be in the way.
(5) Moisture cure the concrete cover with tarp and wait 28 days for the concrete to get to full strength.
(6) You can decide later, if you want to fill the gap with gravel, or fill it up to 4" then just pour that gap. If you pour that gap, the concrete on both sides will already have set and strong, and the rebars will help with the section of concrete between the edges.

Something like this.

Author: Marko1 (MO)

Thanks everyone for your responses.

fwiw

This is what I got from an engineer buddy.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

nice vault

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.