Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Cast iron to PVC caused raised toilet flange
Author: rustyj (CA)

I had a toilet with a broken sanitary tee, and hired a plumber to fix it. After the job was completed, the toilet flange was sitting 3+ inches above the floor. As a result, I need to have a base under the toilet to raise it up, and I don't like it. My house was built in 1959 and is on a slab with a cast iron drain system. The plumber's reasoning for why he couldn't set the flange flush with the floor was because there was no room to do it while connecting the cast iron to PVC. I don't buy it. There had to have been a way to replace the tee and have the flange flush with the floor.

First, do you think there's a way the plumber could have done the work without the flange sticking up from the floor? And second, do you think it's reasonable to ask for the work to be redone?

Edited 2 times.

Re: Cast iron to PVC caused raised toilet flange
Author: steve (CA)

Yes, it could have been done with different fittings to provide a lower flange height. A spigot sanitary tee and a different flange and closet bend fitting would probably get it to a standard height.

Author: packy (MA)

it's hard to tell from the pics but is there room to cut the flange/pipe flush with the finish floor and modify this flange by removing the rubber and cutting it shorter then replace the rubber and fasten well to the floor.

another way is to remove the lower rubber coupling and put back a new fitting like the one that was there.
this of course would involve lead work which sadly the majority of todays plumbers don't know how to do.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY CERTAINLY the work needs to be redone PROPERLY

I am positive that the 'plumber' you paid was NOT bonded for proper CODE COMPLIANT workmanship.

His 'license' consisted of a general contractor's enabling him to charge you for his work.

His next job will most likely be at a butcher shop as he is well qualified.

OR

If you have the ceiling height you could raise the ENTIRE floor to meet the flange.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

A spigot closet bend with the riser cut off at the foot level, into a PROPER sanitary tee, would be the way a TRUE PLUMBER would have done it.

Author: sum (FL)

I can't quite tell from the picture, but did your plumber use a 4X3 mechanical coupling to connect the ABS to the CI? In other words, did he inserted a 3" ABS pipe into the 3" CI hub and used the 4" end of the coupling to to fit over the hub?

A hubless CI sanitary tee to connect to that wye with a poured lead joint or donut gasket connection would lower that branch.

Edited 2 times.

given that the floor is finished and looking at the height off the cement and the sub floor, i believe my plan would work..

Several things "would work" assuming their "plumber" was not a "90 day wonder" who couldn't even spell PLUMBER a week ago. But, then, I also do not "suffer fools kindly".

Edited 1 times.

Thanks, sum, yeah, that's what it looks like. Unfortunately the cement is covering everything up now, so I can't do any measuring or get additional pictures. In the first picture, it looks like a straight 4" coupling. I got that picture after the plumber left for the day. When he showed up the next day to finish the ABS, it looks like he used a different coupling, 4x3 as you suggest. I have a slightly better picture of the final coupling, but it's still hard to tell.

I hired a reputable licensed plumbing company, not just a one-man-shop, but the guys that actually did the work seemed like they were junior level

? did you pay them for unsatisfactory (bordering on insane) work ?

if yes, WHY ?

if no, atta boy !

ps. should they threaten to come and remove their material you can say thank you

Edited 1 times.

That is NOT a "proper connection" and if you were to show the picture to an inspector, the plumber would be tearing it out and redoing it propery.

Exactly. At least that would save YOU the labor of removing the concrete. There is no way I can see to make it right without taking at least some of it apart..

? PERMIT ?

? What permit ?

! I don't need no stinking permit !

License? I don't need no stinkin' license. I don't ever have a car.

..... reputable licensed plumbing company .....

if so, they WILL come and redo the work properly in a code compliant fashion

BEST OF LUCK

Yesterday, I could not spell plumber; today, I be one.

poor grammar. "Today I ARE one."

tongue sticking out smiley

Author: sum (FL)

That would be my concern. I am not a pro just a DIYer, but in addition to the raised flange and toilet, if he really did use a mechanical coupling like the one pictured OVER the hub of a cast iron fitting, that's bad news. I would be equally concerned about that.

The pipes are meant to be inserted into the hub, then sealed (there are different methods for the sealing), but you don't put a fitting over the hub.

And judging from the picture, he did the same above the sanitary tee as well. I would insist the floor to be opened up again.

Author: LI Guy (IN)

Probably why he didn't use the spigot tee, because if you insert the spigot end of the tee into the bushing he couldn't boot it. I agree that he probably should have used the spigot tee and used a different way to seal the connection.

Really disappointing that a licensed and reputable (so you say) plumbing contractor thought that leaving the toilet flange 3" above the floor was an acceptable repair. Being that you got pics of the progress, the minute that it was clear that the guy was going to leave the flange like that, I would have had them stop work and leave. Call the owner and have him/her come over and see what their techs are doing. Don't pour any concrete until the flange is at the right height.

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Author: Curly (CA)

Hello --- That is called "Comfort Height"

wink

"COmfort height" UNCOMFORTABLE appearance.

Edited 1 times.

Comfort height options:

- - - - - - -

"Comfort Height" = easy on the knees

BUT

very very un-natural and awkward positioning of the bowels

ADA height may be necessary for solo wheelchair 'transfer' BUT is NOT recommended for bowel movement.

aaaah ...... the facts, nothing but the facts .........................................................

Does the one in the lower right hand corner come with its own step stool?

facts..

Did Andre the Giant poop in bathtub?
Andre the Giant had to poop in the bathtub when on the road because he could not fit on a normal hotel toilet.

In Asia he would have merely needed to squat.

[wideren.com]

modern adaptation of 'squatting stool':

Author: bsipps (PA)

Never understood why people still use that brittle warped ABS

?.....because they CAN.....?

?get it? because they CAN, as in go to!

And WHO cleaned that out?

I would like to have seen that after Andre stepped on it.

YOu have to understand that in MANY areas, the plumbers use what the supply house stocks and few stock both ABS and PVC. Here it is almost ALL ABS. Home Depot has some PVC, but not the full product line.

The big box stores in NY were 100% PVC except for sprinkler fittings, same here in IN. When I was working on the camper last year, it was plumbed in ABS and the only fitting I could find for a tub trap was PVC, so I have a can of that universal PVC/CPVC/ABS cement that will go bad before I can use it again LOL. I like the regular PVC solvent glue and purple primer for drain work.

- - - - - - -

Author: hi (TX)

Looks to be that the plumber should have removed one more fitting down which would have allowed him to place the toilet flange at the floor height. I never words if you look at the picture of there is a cast-iron wye that's all plumber tapped into with his abs that cast iron wye should have been removed and replaced what's an ABS fitting

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.