Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 clean out
Author: gfran (CA)

I have clogging issues and I called a plumber he came and cleaned out the piping for $400 . the cloggin issues returned a month later and I called the same plumber and he is now saying i have likely roots growing in my pipe that leads to the main sewer line. He said he would use a camera to inspect for $150, he then showed me the camera didnt go far due to likely roots and showed me an image of muggy water. Then he said he can hydro jett for $800 dollars to get all the roots out and when he tried that he said it didnt go past that area again where the camera had originally stopped. now he said he would install a clean out near the problem area so he can then clean out the roots, this is costing me $2000, and he said if there are other issues broken pipes anything that is not resolved with the hydro jetting it will cost extra to repair. Does this sound right? sorry Im a single mom and I am having to trust this plumber as I need my toilets to work for my kids. any advice greatly appreciated as I feel Im at his mercy to resolve this

Re: clean out
Author: NoHub (MA)

Sorry to hear your having this problem but it sounds like he is not playing games with you. When roots get into the drainage system this is what happens and the Price sounds very fair. By digging up and replacing the section ( were the roots are getting in ) it will most likely solve the problem. Check your home owners policy to see if there's any coverage for this. Good luck. P.s, tell the insurance company the pipe collapsed and try not to mention the roots...there not going to cover root Problems and it wont help you at all if you do file a claim.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

IF he is charging you the "full price" for this, then maybe he is more concerned about his next truck payment rather than your kids having a working toilet. It doesn't appear that he has even tried to "snake" the line, which was always my FIRST option, and the cheapest one. AFTER that the sewer was either working, and the camera could be a accessory if you wanted to pay for it, or the line was broken and needed to be dug up, at which time the cleanout would be installed for FUTURE uses and the line cleared.

Author: NoHub (MA)

I'd say if he's going to dig up the front yard might as well just cut that section out, install a clean out and be done with it.

Author: Lorensr (CA)

Yes if he retrieved roots then you should skip the camera and dig up the yard and install new pipe with 2 way clean outs for future problems.Homeowners should get recommendations from trusted neighbors or friends and have a plumber already in you auto dial if you have these kinds of problems. IMHO

very much appreciated. They have been at this for hours now dug up concrete and now another problem the hydrojetter hose is stuck in that area. I think they are now working on taking the hose out before they continue to fix it. the issues are piling up and I think so is the cost. I will try my homeowners insurance

yes, he did say the clean out would be so he could get past the area where the camera stopped.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.