Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Why would a 50" drain run include a separate leg to vent?
Author: ArthurPeabody (NM)

The vanity has a 30" horizontal pipe (all 1.5" ) to a tee; a 10" pipe down to an elbow, another 10" pipe to the main drain. At the tee a 14" pipe runs up to an elbow, 10" to the vent. It's less than 60" over all, so doesn't require a separate vent leg, as I understand it. Why was it done this way? This was about 1975.

The tub and toilet share the same drain and vent. The toilet is plumbed directly to the drain/vent, the tub similarly to the vanity, on an even shorter run.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Why would a 50" drain run include a separate leg to vent?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

because it was built/installed SURPASSING MINIMIM code as per BEST versus MINIMUM CODE practice

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: steve (CA)

There's more to the venting requirement then just the distance. Elevation drop and usage of the pipe, that the sink's drain pipe connects to, must also be factored in.

Author: sum (FL)

if I understand correctly the "10 inch down to an elbow", was probably done to avoid some obstruction, and that downward offset breaks the air between the p-trap outlet and the lower tee connection after the offset and thus a vent is required. The trap arm must go from fixture to tee with 1/4" per foot with no offset in the vertical direction.

sum,

thanx for the jabberwocky translation

you are correct .... again

grinning smiley

Author: packy (MA)

so if the sink drain drops 10" to and elbow requires an additional vent, if it drops another 10" to another elbow does that require another additional vent?
heaven forbid the drain drops another 10" to a third elbow requiring another vent then the sink drain would resemble an octopus.

The trap arm must go from fixture to tee with 1/4" per foot with no offset in the vertical direction.

@ packy,

? correct ?

Is that a trap arm or trap leg?

It doesn't avoid anything in the way. One could connect the trap directly to the drain with a slight slope with about 42" horizontal pipe. I can see no purpose of the separate vent leg other than to make it closer to the trap, as though the rule was different in 1975 or 30" is enough better than 40" to make it worth a separate leg.

The tub's trap connects to the eventual drain at the drain's level; a vent leg runs up about 20" from the tub's trap far enough to meet the vanity's vent leg in a tee at the main vent.

If the drain didn't drop down that 10" and instead just stayed horizontal to the stack and the stack doesn't receive waste from above, then the vent wouldn't be necessary if the stack above the tie-in is used as a vent.

Thanks clap

Thanks. That answers my question. Because this plumbing has to be exposed (it can't go under the floor or into the wall; I could build a false wall to hide it but I don't want to lose the space in a small bathroom.) I'd prefer to have it drop as low in the vanity as I can to keep the exposed part as low as possible to keep it out of the way. I'll install a shelf above it both to protect it and for storage.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.