Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 675,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Welcome to Plbg.com and PlumbingForum.com. The best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice, help, dyi, and informational plumbing forum. Questions and discussions about toilets, sinks, faucets, drainage, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, water quality, and other exclusively PLUMBING related issues. Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, or business, pricing, or legal questions, or for contractor referrals, or any questions not related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups. We do not sell your information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Log In
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower valve stem--is this one piece?
Author: ericsarratt (NC)

I am working on a shower valve stem. There is a white plastic piece with threads that *appears* to be removable.

But I can't get the white piece to slide off.

I need to remove the white plastic piece to get my valve stem socket wrench on the valve stem.

Is this white piece actually removable or do I need a different type of valve stem socket wrench?

I don't want to break pipes back in the wall; there is no rear access panel to the fixture.

The white piece does not move at all, even when I screw the escutcheon plate on and use this to get more leverage.

Any tricks?

Another question---What manufacturer of plumbing fixture is this?

Edited 6 times.

Post Reply

 Re: Shower valve stem--is this one piece?
Author: steve_g (CA)

The white piece (escutcheon nipple) should unscrew. The fixture looks like a Price Pfister, but I could be wrong.

Post Reply

 Re: Shower valve stem--is this one piece? clap
Author: ericsarratt (NC)

That was it thank you. I had been trying to pull it off.

Apparently this is old. They guy at the local box store implied decades.

The box stores apparently sell only more modern parts.

Off to the plumbing supply tomorrow.

Edited 1 times.

Post Reply

 Re: Shower valve stem--is this one piece?
Author: steve (CA)

My money is on it's a Kohler and/or Sterling. They both have stems with the square broach and use that style plastic trim tube.

Post Reply

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:

Copyright© 2021 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.