Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Multi branch recirculating line
Author: meganthomas320 (KS)

I have a multi branch recirculation pipe in my house. I recently converted from a tank water heater to a tankless water heater. We have noticed that the recirculation pipe has no valves separating the two branches. When we are in the master bathroom taking a shower and turn on The kitchen faucet, which are on two separate recirculation lines, The master bathroom shower gets cold. I also believe that the recirculation line may be tied to our cold water line, when all the hot water is shut off and lines blocked the water in the hot side of the faucet goes cold and has full pressure. My question is: would placing valves on either branch of our recirculating pipe help prevent flow from going to the two sides, thus Helping our shower not get cold when the other side of the house is being used?

Re: Multi branch recirculating line
Author: hj (AZ)

HOW is the line connected to the heater?

It is attached to the cold water line coming into the water heater. There are check valves close to the water heater but the two branches of the recirculating lines connect together with no valves separating them.

Author: bsipps (PA)

Branch valves are not usually installed on a recirc line

Does the tankless have a built in recirc pump or is it external

It has a built in recirculating pump. I’m not specifically asking about a branch valve. I’m wondering about a check valve being placed at on each branch.

Author: bsipps (PA)

Only 1 check valve is required on the main run usually located near the pump,check valves fail it would be a nuisance to have them on every branch

her should be a check valve on every line to maintain flow to the heater and not circulate between the return lines. There should also be "modulating" valves so you can adjust the flows to control, and equalize, the temperatures in the lines.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

balancing valves

tongue sticking out smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

That is what I thought. Flow valve and check valve is what I thought. I am getting a second opinion as the first plumber said it likely won’t help our issue.

It de[ends on WHAT the issue is, even if that is NOT the issue or solution, they will be needed to keep the system working properly afterwards.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

a few years ago i did a new house. i put a one inch x 8 outlets premade manifold buried up in the ceiling. it fed HW to 3 baths a kit and a WM. the 8th port i used as a return for the recirc pump located at the water heater. the check valve was integral with the pump. i had no issues at all.
if either of my friends from AZ/SC can describe what could go wrong i would like to know.

It appears you had ONE recirculating line, (and could have connected the circulator to the END of the manifold rather than one of the branches), NOT two or more, so the situations are VASTLY different.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.