Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water goes to shower even without valve
Author: klorensen (OR)

I installed a new single level tub shower valve and when operating the valve, water comes out of the shower head at all times. The valve was installed in the correct direction. Even when pulling the diverter spout off completely, water still comes out of the shower head as well as the tub. Even with installing a new valve and completely redoing everything, all new pex plumbing, no obstructions, about a quarter of the flow goes to the shower whenever the water is on. This is a puzzle to me and I used to be a plumber, now retired.

Re: water goes to shower even without valve
Author: Mr tee (MT)

The PEX to the spout is restricting the flow and the water is backing up to the shower head. The line from the valve to the spout should be something with a larger ID like copper.

I have used this same 1/2 inch pex for this in other homes with no problem. 1/2 pex has a great flow.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

but you did NOT use it for a diverter type spout

it may/will work if the diverter is on the valve body BUT it will NOT work for a diverter spout 'set-up'

PEX WILL create backpressure rising to the shower head if used from the valve to the spout AGAINST THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE VALVE

read them (?again?) and weep

ps. the PEX is, in and of itself, an OBSTRUCTION

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: NoHub (MA)

Than you got lucky the other times klorensen. Mr T is 100% right on. Every shower valve " with a diverter spout" I have see says to Don't use pex to the spout or this will happen. Open the wall and run copper to the spout.

This happened even when I removed the spout completely and had it wide open to the tub, it still came out the shower also.

Now I understand, sorry. I have never heard of this before. I will change the pipe between the valve and the spout.

there is a very old joke:

"What is the first thing we do after opening the box?

Throw away the instructions!"

Author: hj (AZ)

ALL valve instructions say "DO NOT USE PEX. or CPVC" for the tub spout connection. You have either been lucky, or the customers did not know any better and thought that was a normal situation.

Author: hj (AZ)

There is only one "plumber joke". The rest of them are true.

Author: sum (FL)

what if he used PEX-A with the expansion joints instead of the clamp style that requires the insertion type fittings? Is the restriction caused by PEX or the fittings?

both

Author: NoHub (MA)

For those who Love Delta shower valves like myself I suggest the Delta R10300-UNWS with a Built in diverter. Cut and paste that part number. Lose it troublesome spout diverters.

i personally have two '600s' (one with diverter, one shower only) with screwdriver stops which i will treasure and repair until the day i die

crystal(ine) knobs

i even have the blue temperature 'stick-on' decals

ps. my water heater is set for 125, pressure balanced 'safety devices' be darned

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.