Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Would you recommend a de-scale pre-treatment for a tankless hot water heater?
Author: kingshakabobo (IL)

I’m in a Chicago suburb so we have pretty decent municipal water from Chicago.

I’m re-piping the entire house and installing a tankless hot water heater.

1.) Thinking about installing a spin down flushable sediment filter while I’m at it. They are relatively inexpensive and seem to be low maintenance. I get a lot of sediment now when I shut water off but I think most will go away once I scrap the old galvanized pipe. Not sure at this point what else comes from the service line or street.

2.) Would you guys recommend a pre-treatment to prevent scale build up? I’m installing the flush valve kit so I can flush the unit with vinegar but would one of those Venturi based units make sense?

Re: Would you recommend a de-scale pre-treatment for a tankless hot water heater?
Author: LI Guy (IN)

We had a tankless in our old house and the plumber that installed it also installed a sediment filter on the cold input line. He explained that the passages are extremely small inside the heater, that's how they get such fast heat transfer and hi efficiency, and once they clog up they are nearly impossible to clean. Vinegar may be OK for mineral scale, but won't help with inorganic particles like rust and sand.

We used a 30 micron whole house sediment filter and changed the cartridge every 4 months. I can't find the pic right now, but the filter cartridge had a rusty sludge in it, looked like mustard. House was 100% copper pipe, city supply, but must have had some old iron mains somewhere in the system. Rust particles were very fine and hadn't ever noticed any discoloration before we added the filter.

So definitely add a filter.

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.