Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 3/4 by 3/4 meter coupling?
Author: kingshakabobo (IL)

Does such a thing exist?

Everywhere I look I come up with 3/4 MIP by 1 inch on the meter side. Any idea where I can look?

My meter seems to be 3/4 - I threaded a 3/4 inch ball valve on the meter and it didn’t leak. Are the threads compatible?

The old coupling is 1/2 inch on the MIP side and I’d like increase to 3/4.

Help! Pulling my hair out.

Thanks!

Re: 3/4 by 3/4 meter coupling?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

[www.bing.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Unless I’m missing something, every one of those is in fact 3/4 x1

Except for the Amazon listing that says 3/4 by 3/4 but is, in fact, 3/4 by 1 (per the actual photo and some of the complaints in the comments)

I dis the same search

you will need to use a 1/2 meter coupling (like the one you have) with a 'face bushing' on the NPT end

[www.walmart.com]

OR

get a 1" meter

You need a 5/8x3/4 coupling
Author: steve (CA)

If you screwed a 3/4 valve onto the meter, it must be a 5/8" meter. A 5/8" meter has threads that are 1.04", which is .010 smaller than 3/4" pipe. AY McDonald 5124-065 is a 5/8x3/4x2.19. It's available in different lengths. The base number for this shape of fitting is 74620. There's a dropdown at the linked page for all the different sizes. The picture doesn't change when you change the selection from the dropdown.

[www.aymcdonald.com]

Edited 1 times.

I believe I have solved the OP's misconception:

A 3/4 meter has an (approximately) 1" MECHANICAL running thread designed for a gasketed connection which 'may' accept (improperly of course) a 3/4 (F)NPT.

So, unless the OP (and the utility co.) wants to upsize the meter the OP will need a 1 x 3/4 face bushing on the pipe end of the 3/4 coupling.

see: [utility-technologies.myshopify.com]

AWWA Meter threads are referred to by the size of the meter connection, not the actual measurement. Meter threads are straight threads, unlike pipe thread which is tapered. The sealing of a meter coupling nut and meter spud (threaded end of meter) is done by a compressed gasket as opposed to a pipe thread which is sealed by tapered threads and thread sealant.

... over and out ...

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

There is no way to make a coupling with a 3/4" swivel nut that is also 3/4" male thread,unless it is manufactured with a "captive nut".

A 5/8x3/4 and 3/4" meter use a 3/4 meter thread, which is 1.39" OD and a little bigger than 1" pipe. A 5/8" meter has 1/2" meter threads, that are 1.04" diameter, which is a little smaller than 3/4" pipe. Simple, right?
[utility-technologies.myshopify.com]

Edited 2 times.

@ steve,

same link i posted

grinning smiley

I edited my posts.

@ OP,

as per Steve:

... If you screwed a 3/4 valve onto the meter, it must be a 5/8" meter. A 5/8" meter has threads that are 1.04", which is .010 smaller than 3/4" pipe. ...

PERFECT EXPLANATION

let me add: the threads on the meter are NOT tapered pipe threads in any way - they are straight mechanical threads for a gasketed connection - they are NOT designed to mate with pipe threaded valves even though you 'may' be able to 'attach' one - however, the info of the 3/4 valve 'screwing on' was useful for 'sizing' purposes

That’s eventually what I want to do - have the water company upgrade my meter to at least 3/4 to match what comes out of the ground.

I’m re piping the house starting with a 1” cold line running the length of the basement to feed the new tankless and the rest of the house.

The face nut seems like a good fix for now. It will allow me to build my copper pipes in place with no extra reducers to throw off the measurements. Then I can have the meter swapped later

Thank you all

you WILL have to make a 'small' allowance for the face bushing as it actually 'sticks out' somewhat

but

1/4-3/8 total is enough (for your purposes probably within the 'pipe flex play')

Author: packy (MA)

according to this....
5/8" x 1/2" water meter (~ 1" O.D. threads with 7.5" spacing)
5/8" x 3/4" water meter or 3/4" short body meter (~ 1-1/4" O.D. threads with 7.5" spacing)
Full 3/4" water meter (~ 1-1/4" thread O.D. x 9" spacing)
1" water meter (~ 1.5" O.D. thread x 10.75" spacing)

you can work with your local DPW. they can supply you with a temporary meter spacer so you can pipe you house the way you want and they will come in and remove the spacer and install the meter.

That seems like the way to go.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.