Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Need help IDing cast iron fitting/transitioning to PVC
Author: md9918 (MD)

I had a cracked shower trap under my slab and spent several evenings digging it out. It was connected to this wye:

I cannot tell what that end is (i.e., male/female and 2" or 1.5" ). Its OD is approx 2.5", and fits into this:

Which, unsurprisingly also has an ID of about 2.5".

So my questions are: 1) what in the hell am I looking at? Is that a 2" street wye that was going into a 2" fitting? and 2) How do I transition whatever it is to PVC? I saw that Fernco makes push-in couplings, but only for 4" and 6". Is the answer that I have to keep digging until I find a run of straight pipe and put a regular Fernco on it? I really hope that's not the answer.

Edit: I'm showing my age here-- apparently I need a compression donut. Just trying to figure out now if the cast iron is service weight or extra heavy.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Need help IDing cast iron fitting/transitioning to PVC
Author: Lorensr (CA)

Your first photo should show more of the fitting. Also if the ID is 2.5 ", it can't be a 2 inch fitting so please try to explain again.

Re: Need help IDing cast iron fitting/transitioning to PVC
Author: NP16 (OR)

quote: Is the answer that I have to keep digging until I find a run of straight pipe and put a regular Fernco on it? I really hope that's not the answer.

Probably not a bad idea and then it won't matter what that fitting is.

Find the main cut out a 3 foot section or so and use Fernco's with shields to install a new section of plastic pipe. install a wye or comby, vent, and trap for this shower. May be possible to horizontal wet vent depending on where the sink drain and vent are.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.