Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Adding a bathroom to a clients unfinished attic
Author: steffen1011 (NC)

So my client wants his attic finished with the addition of a bathroom. The attic is roughed in for a toilet waste line, and hot and cold supply lines. He wants to add a walk-in shower, but there is nothing roughed in for the walk-in shower. The sub floor was laid by the builder. My plumber gave me an estimate but it seems low to me. In the estimate he included the price of the vanity, installation of the vanity, installing the toilet, installing the shower valve, installing the drain of the shower, and the pan liner for 2950. Does this seem low to you? I sent him great pictures with a detailed breakdown of what I need done. He will have to tie into the existing drainage pipe for the shower valve, plumb the vanity, toilet, and shower valve. It just seems like a lot for that price. I wish I could add pics on here. But anyway help me out if you have any advice or input, thanks!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Adding a bathroom to a clients unfinished attic
Author: steve (CA)

We don't discuss pricing here. A $2900 job in one part of the country could be $5800 in another and both be the going rate for that area.

As to posting photos - [www.plbg.com]

Author: NP16 (OR)

deleted

Edited 1 times.

Author: vic (CA)

As it states above .... "Please refrain from asking where to purchase a product, or business, pricing,....."

We do welcome and encourage you to ask specific plumbing related questions.

I apologize, I will not do that again. I was thinking it was low. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what the plumber will do is remove the subfloor, tie into the existing drain line, run piping over to where the shower is going to be, through each joist, p-trap in the shower, install toilet flange on existing drain line (this is the previous roughed in line and should already have a p-trap installed by builder). Re-install subfloor. Also, there is a supply that was roughed in, and it is also on the 3rd floor. Will this be adequate enough to supply the vanity, toilet, and shower? They obviously won't be ran at the same time, so I assume they will be. Thank you for your input!

Author: bernabeu (SC)

take the 'plumber's' proposal

turn it into a set of 'job specs'

put said specs out for bids

LICENSED - INSURED - BONDED contractors ONLY

yes, you read correctly, BONDED

part of the 'specs' would be copies of license, insurance, AND bond required BEFORE start of work

then yopu can pay 60% 'up front' without fear as the vendor's work is BONDED

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

yes, low quote is not always the best quote.
It's way low anywhere in this country unless you are working off the books, cash, no inspection, free room and board and dating the daughter.

AGREED 100%

the 'cheapest price' is seldom the lowest cost in the long run

the lowest BID on a set of SPECIFICATIONS tended by a licensed/insured/bonded contractor is PROBABLY close to the lowest cost/time

eg.

NASA put men on the moon by assembling 10,000,000+ parts from the LOWEST bids from LICENSED/BONDED/INSURED/QUALIFIED vendors

all of whom placed BIDS on the provided SPECIFICATIONS - apples to apples / oranges to oranges

NOT 'price me a rocket', YOU pick the materials and method(s)

.................................. rant over

Author: sharp1 (IL)

A toilet does not require a separate P-trap, it is built into each toilet. Double-trapping will cause incomplete flushing and backup. The toilet flange should not be installed until the finish floor covering is complete. The flange needs to set on top of the finished flooring to be the proper height.

.... as any QUALIFIED licensed/bonded/insured plumber would KNOW

there ARE codes and PERMITS required, even in North Carolina

Thank you all, love this forum clap

Thank you all for your responses, this has helped greatly! Love this forum, you can get answers that aren’t necessarily cut and dry with a google search.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.