Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 “bell” type floor drain cover replacement
Author: jimpascale (PA)

Like so many others, we got water in our basement courtesy of Hurricane Ida. It came in through the basement door, where a drain just outside the basement door at the bottom of the basement stairwell could not handle the flow. This led me to discover that my floor drain is what’s called a “bell-trap” floor drain, which I believe is no longer to code &, most importantly, slow draining. So, I’m looking for some guidance;
-Can I replace the bell-type cover with a simple cover with no internal bell? There’s an example of a floor drain cover that I ordered in the photo link below (it will need to be shaved down 1/4” to fit over the 4” floor drain
What do you all think? Will this increase flow? Any reason I need to stay with a bell-type floor drain?
I know the best thing is probably replacing the entire drain & installing a bigger drain - but that’s probably very expensive.
Here’s a link to photos:
[photos.app.goo.gl]
TIA for any/all suggestions.

Re: “bell” type floor drain cover replacement
Author: steve (CA)

The existing cover is what gives you the water seal(makes the drain a trap). Replacing the cover with a flat cover might allow smelly sewer gas to come out of the drain.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Well,2 things; first, the floor drain is outside the house )just outside the basement door). Secondly, flooding is my biggest concern. We just got hammered by Hurricane Ida. This drain was backed up, resulting in flooding through the basement door. When I pulled off the bell type cover I could see the whirlpool of water starting to go down the drain.
Perhaps my best bet is to have 2 covers; the original bell type, for everyday use, & a flat cover, like the one I ordered in one of the attached photos, for use only when very heavy rains are expected.
What do you think of that? Unusual but perhaps effective? I don’t know, that’s why I’m here.

Author: steve (CA)

There's no guarantee you will get odors coming out. I would try your approach before getting into increasing the drain size.

My initial response was with San Francisco in mind, where there is a combination sewer and storm water system. Do you know if your floor drain is connected to the sewer system?

Edited 1 times.

Steve, this is strictly a storm drain; we have a separate septic line.
So, since our septic is separate, you think my replacing the bell-type cover with a simple 4” cover might do the job. That’s great Steve & TY very much for your time & expertise.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

replace with the simple cover

then

IF you get sewer odor(s) you can 'swap over' as needed before a storm

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Re: “bell” type floor drain cover replacement clap

Thank you!

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

If you have a "septic system" where is the "storm drain" water going?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.