Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Making my own ABS repair coupling
Author: ArthurPeabody (NM)

I can buy a hub-hub ABS coupler at the home stores (etc.) but they don't carry repair couplings. Can I ream out the stop to make my own?

Re: Making my own ABS repair coupling
Author: bernabeu (SC)

no, you may not, as each side of the coupling is TAPERED and designed to allow full 'seating' of the pipe only when solvent cement is applied (acts as a lubricant/solvent when 'wet')

the taper is precision 'machined' to form an actual 'weld' by applying PRESSURE at the base

a 'properly made' joint is as strong as the pipe itself

theoretically

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Mr tee (MT)

Are ABS repair couplings really tapered? I don't think so.

correct - that is precisely why a 'repair coupling' (for ABS or PVC or CPVC or any other solvent welded plastic pipe) is garbage

Author: sum (FL)

The repair couplings are not tapered. I know I can take a repair coupling and slide the entire coupling onto the pipe without a lot of struggle.

On the other hand, a regular coupling is tapered from the edges towards the center, which is why you can't easily push a pipe all the way in till it bottoms without primer and cement. For this reason if you just remove the ridge in the center, you still cannot use it like a repair coupling, to slide it over one pipe, insert the joining pipe, then slide it half way over the joining pipe.

You can do that with a repair coupling, but due to its non tapered nature, the joint will not be as strong.

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Can you use a shielded "no-hub" coupling instead?

Thanks for the great answers clap

Thanks for the great answers. I hadn't known about the tapering. I can use a shielded no-hub coupling - but they're more expensive and look temporary, rely on torque - 60 lbs!, which seems like a lot. The application is venting, and all the pipes have lots of support - I wouldn't think strength would be an issue. That so many stores don't sell them must mean something.

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

The torque is 60 INCH lbs, not FOOT lbs.

Author: hj (AZ)

what it meansis that not many people use them and they are a "PITA" to use properly.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hi (TX)

[www.google.com]

[pimmedia.winsupplyinc.com]

Whoops! 60 ft-lbs would have been exciting. 5 seems reasonable.

I haven't found anybody in town that has them, even special order. An Internet search turns up a page for them at home depot, but they're unavailable. I suspect that DIYers screwed up so often that making a buck on them isn't worth the hassle of unhappy customers, even if it is the customers' fault.

I downloaded Nibco's catalog, and Genova's and Charlotte's.

Author: LI Guy (IN)

I never realized that couplings were tapered either...makes sense though now that you explain it. This also explains why every time I have tried to use a plastic repair coupling it's leaked and I've had to cut it out and use a Fernco banded coupling.

I also thought that the glue-in coupling looked more "professional" than a Fernco, but I've gotten over how it looks, I'm all about no leaks!! Also why the real pros don't use these glue-in repair couplings.

The other problem besides the lack of taper is that the repair coupling pushes all the glue out of the way as you slide it into place, so you never really know how much glue is left in the joint.

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.