Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Identifying My Shower Diverter Valve
Author: OldPartTimer (OH)

My house was built in 1959. My shower diverter valve needs a repair kit. None of the components of the shower have any identification. I found an article online that said you could count the splines in the broach and use the stem finder tool. I counted 17 splines on my broach. However, I cannot find the stem finder tool to identify it. Can someone identify it or tell me where I can find the tool?

Thank you.

Re: Identifying My Shower Diverter Valve
Author: steve (CA)

There's more to determining the proper diverter than spline count. Take pictures of the handle and of the diverter valve, upload them to postimages.org and then post a link to them back here on this thread.
[www.plbg.com]

Author: bernabeu (SC)

or, if you can disassemble:

[www.arpny.com]

[www.nyrpcorp.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

My images are at "[postimg.cc]; Here is what I have found out. The washer is not a simple flat washer. The image, Diverter1Washer, shows that it has a lip. The smaller part fits into the brass part. The larger part fits on top of that brass edge. Several people have told me it is just a regular washer and has been compressed. I have tried washers the size of the smaller part and the size of the wider part and neither works. Image Diverter5 shows a washer that matches the wider part and it just does not work. Also, you can tell the washer has been machined that way. No one in this area has that washer.

There is a white O-ring in the picture. I found that today. The flat part between the threads measures 1.352 with my calipers.

Image Diverter2 shows the stem is 4 5/8 inches long. I found a stem at Home Depot, a Danco 11b-4d that looked exactly the same except the stem was at least a 1/2" longer. That is the closest I can get. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sterling A8106.

[www.ferguson.com]

Thank you very much clap

That looks like it. I will see if I can find one. Thank you very much.

Edited 1 times.

Should be readily available. I've seen it listed as 4 5/8, 11/16 and 3/4" in length.

I found one and went to the supplier. We looked at it and it seemed to be a match. It did not work. After closer inspection, I saw why.I uploaded the pictures of them side by side at:

[i.postimg.cc]
[i.postimg.cc]
[i.postimg.cc]

Also, there is a plastic piece in the handle that is an adapter that is .54 sq by .43 deep that had a different spline pattern. See the picture at (https://i.postimg.cc/qBZMWnZD/Handle-Adapter.jpg).

One other thing. There is a piece of white plastic inside the stem well. I have attached 3 pictures of it at:

[i.postimg.cc]
[i.postimg.cc]
[i.postimg.cc]

The suppliers had no idea what it was. You guys probably will. Can you try one more time?

Thank you.

Was the new diverter suppose to be an A8106? I just saw 4 different pictures of an A8106, on 4 different websites, and they all had port "holes" and not "slots" like your new one.

.... Simply order one online and be done with it

Edited 1 times.

Thanks for all your help. clap

I got side tracked but was able to find the A8106 and it works. Thanks for all your help.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.