Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Knob Noise
Author: Margaret_123 (AZ)

Hi. I live at an apartment complex. For some time now I have been hearing a noise that sounds like a knob being turned on and off which is coming from another tenant's apartment. It wakes me up at night and in the early morning hours when I am trying to sleep. When I recorded the sound while in my bathroom, it sounded like a very loud clicking sound.

The manager told me that the maintenance checked a couple of apartments, top floor and bottom, that are near me but when they turned the kitchen sink knobs, bathroom sink knobs, and bathtub knobs, they couldn't hear anything.

What could be causing this and is there any other way to find the source of this noise so that it can be corrected?

Thank you.

Re: Knob Noise
Author: steve (CA)

A toilet fill valve can cause that kind of noise, when it's barely open. Maybe a toilet flapper is leaking and the water level in the tank slowly drops down to point that the fill valve barely opens?

Thank you for your answer. I will contact my manager and give her this information.

Unfortunately, the manager still says that she can't find the source of the noise. It sounds like it is directly below me or to the side of me, but I can't tell for sure.

How far can a squeaky noise like this travel at an apartment complex?

Author: steve (CA)

Can management(or anyone else) hear the noise? A bad fill valve(if it has a float) and angle stop can be checked by taking off the tank lid and lightly pushing down the float, so the fill valve just barely opens. I would think it would be from an adjoining apartment.

Author: NP16 (OR)

It could be the expansion and contraction of various pipes in the wall.
Not much can be done now about this now unfortunately.

Part of apartment living is having to listen to noise from other units. It's a huge bummer and what gave me drive to work hard to get out of that situation and become a homeowner.

I continue to hear the noise, but now it seems to have migrated to my apartment. Many times when I turn off the knob on the hot water side after taking a shower, I can hear the noise. It seems more like a squealing noise. When I only heard the noise coming from another tenant's unit, I thought that it was a knob. Now I think it might have something to do with the hot water.

Could this be the pipes at the complex? If so, what could the long-term consequences be? I have been hearing this aggravating sound since mid-May even though the manager couldn't find the noise.

(Nobody else has complained about the noise, but that is not surprising. This is the type of complex where noise is heard but never reported by tenants. I did record this noise, so I know that it is real.)

Thank you.

Author: vic (CA)

As far as how far and long can noise travel in pipes?

A very long way especially in water pipes being transported in copper pipes.

Unless we are there to hear it we really can't guess much more other than it might be a check valve or maybe water hammer or so many other variables. I'm sorry that we can't help more than this.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.