Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Plumbing help
Author: K5BEAST (ID)

I live off grid. I'm not a plumber by trade but am a seasoned construction worker.

I currently have a storage tank that i fill. Water is moved via a 12v pump. I utilize a 38gal pressure tank running at around 50psi line pressure. It feeds a tankless water heater which feeds a shower and sink. All works fine.

I adding a new master bathroom located level with the pressure tank but about 6ft above the water heater. The master bath will have a toilet, vanity, and a walk in shower incorporating rain fall head, hand held, and 6 body sprays. I'm worried that the water pressure won't be adequate in the new bathroom. How can i raise the water pressure for just the new bathroom?

Re: Plumbing help
Author: bernabeu (SC)

not practical

the added bath should be 'conventional' with water saving fixtures

your 'problem' is/will be gpm used by shower NOT pressure as the elevation is the same as the tank

1 gal = 8.334#

assuming tank temp = 60 degrees (average due to Idaho) and desired hw temp = 120 (allowing for mixing at tap)

1 gpm = 8.334 X 60 btu/min = 500.04 btu/min = 30,002.4 btu/hr

that is ONE gallon of hot water per minute

? you are off grid ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

i'm not great at this but i know you will need 3/4 inch to feed the new shower.

i'm guessing a second pump working in parallel with the first pump will help greatly.

Author: LI Guy (IN)

Look at the the GPM ratings for all those fixtures, your problem is going to be volume, not pressure. You're going to need 3/4 pipe minimum all the way from the tank to the fixtures, will your tankless HWH keep up, and how fast will you drain your supply tank? That's a pretty luxe setup for off the grid LOL.

I would stick with the low volume water saving fixtures, or at a minimum go with a really nice massaging shower head and skip the body sprays and rainfall

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Author: rongxiangg (OR)

To increase the water pressure, use a water pump. If you use a 12-volt pump, it's not that difficult. It'll work with any other 12 or 6-volt pump. If you want to use a pump with a higher capacity than the tank pump, you'll have to add a water pump to the tank to help it. You can do this by adding an extra pump to the tank, which is a good way to control water flow and increase performance. The water pump will increase the flow of water from the tank to the water heater and from the water heater to the shower.

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.