Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Cast iron to pvc Problems
Author: Bikerboy108 (NJ)

Ok here goes.. old row house in Philadelphia..thes are 18”? wide connected houses with a small backyard patio ,probably built in the 1930’s? Soil pipe from upstairs bath is outside the house and at some point the roof drain and patio drain connect underground to soil pipe then pops out of basement wall where someone before we owned it connected a no hub cast iron T and then to 4”pvc . Pvc then runs about 20’ and exists house to street sewer lines. I have no idea why they didn’t use a simple fernco to go from cast iron to PVC and then put the T later on?. ALSO cast iron sticks out only 6” where it enters basement through wall . It is about a foot high at this point also..problem is where no hub T attaches to cast iron it leaks .. How much ? In a 12” x 18” 6” high tray about a 1/4”… ia Heavy rain 3” in a 24 hour period..
Worm Clamp attaching rubber no hub to cast iron was rusted out and I was hoping new clamp problem solved .? So I wrapped some flex tape around joint put on a couple worm clamps leak still there..
SO is it leaking at rubber 20 + year old no hub rubber joint? Is cast iron Deteriorated So much it’s leaking thru the cast iron? Very hard to tell. If I take this apart will the cast iron crumble? Can I cut it back an inch or two and then fernco to pvc or does cast iron fall apart..
Can I take it apart fernco it up make a small form around it and pour epoxy ? That liquid concrete around whole connection ..
Or any other ideas ?? Thoughts ??

MAIN QUESTION IS If cracked and I have to cut it back will the pipe hold up if cut back with a sawzall

Edited 1 times.

Re: Cast iron to pvc Problems
Author: bernabeu (SC)

? actual licensed bonded insured plumber onsite ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

You apparently are unsure how to do a proper repair, so call a "real" plumber to fix it properly.

oh i am going to get a licensed plumber in ..just talking out loud to see if any thoughts from experience

Author: sum (FL)

not a pro but have you checked to make sure there isn't a long crack along the bottom of the cast iron pipe where it's leaking?

thats one of the concerns and if it is cracked underneath will the pipe hold up to cutting it back with a sawzall

Author: packy (MA)

i'm gonna go out on a limb and say "cut it carefully with a fine tooth blade"

Author: bernabeu (SC)

no, it will not

you need to replace ALL the 'worn out' cast iron

+

whatever you can 'reach' while you are repairing the leak

else

you will be working in the same or near spot AGAIN

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: LI Guy (IN)

Cast iron is prone to cracks that run lengthways along the pipe. It may crack more when you try to cut it. Since you have so little to work with, I would consider cutting it outside on the vertical drop from the upstairs bath, use a Fernco to transition to PVC, then you are PVC when you make the turn to come back inside and you will be all PVC inside.

This means you will have to re-seal the concrete around the pipe, but you will eliminate that leaky connection once and for all.

There is a chance that the existing pipe can be cut back in the basement to a good stub and the Fernco installed there, but can't tell without pics.

- - - - - - -

Not a plumber by trade but a fierce DIYer

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.