Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 What happened? (Not a plumber)
Author: Bedens (AL)

We had a plumber out yesterday to replace a faucet on our bathroom sink (old, loose and the pull up stopper is broken.) The guy fiddled with the valves underneath the sink and told me they would need to be replaced because they wouldn’t shut the water off. Okay. He didn’t have those parts with him so he planned to get them and come back in a couple of days.

This bathroom sink is on the same water line as the tub/shower and also our kitchen sink and dishwasher. If you’re in the shower and someone turns on the kitchen faucet, you lose pressure in the shower.

So after the plumber left, we used the bathroom sink with no problems. I wasn’t aware of anything leaking underneath the sink at the time. A couple of hours later I turned on our dishwasher and after it finished went into the bathroom where I heard a “drip, drip” sound. I realized it was coming from underneath the sink and when I opened the cabinet there was water covering most of the bottom of it. I tried to see if I needed to turn something off underneath the sink and was able to turn the left side valve about 180 degrees to the right and the dripping stopped.

The bathroom faucet continues to work just fine, both for hot and cold water and there haven’t been any more leaks.

I don’t understand what happened. Why did my turning one of the valves stop the dripping but the water is still coming fine out of the faucet? Could the dishwasher filling up have had anything to do with all of the water leaking into the bottom of the cabinet? Maybe it had been dripping since the plumber left but we didn’t notice it until later?

Thanks to anyone for any help. I’m not sure if the plumber is coming back tomorrow or next week.

Edited 1 times.

Re: What happened?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

packing gland leak

for sure

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Re: What happened?
Author: bsipps (PA)

Yes you can usually find a sweet spot by turning the valve handle so the packing will not leak

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.