Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Basement Leak - Washing Machine
Author: Adampw1983 (WA)

Hi everyone, I bought a house and I have found that a line sometimes leaks heavily when the washing machine drains. In this photo, the line coming from the right is the washing machine drain about 6 feet away which also has a sink drain to that line as well (not pictured). When the washing machine drains, it shoots out of the open line with the ac condensate tube that is in it. The lines were inspected and snaked in June with a good report of being clear and in good repair. I do not know a ton about plumbing, but it seems to me like that open line being where it is, is a recipe for disaster with the positive pressure from the washing machine? Should this be capped off?

[imgur.com]

Re: Basement Leak - Washing Machine
Author: bernabeu (SC)

NO, do NOT cap that line - it is a properly installed REQUIRED indirect waste for the AC condensate - you 'could' make the 'standpipe' longer, but, leave it open to atmosphere

you probably have a partial stoppage OR a 'brand spanky new' HE washer - said washer discharges at very high volume which the plumbing may not 'take'

my first step would be to snake the line at the visible CO

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

it is strange that the washing machine causes a problem but the toilet does not ?
take the condensate drain tube and stick it into the washer drain pipe as a temporary measure and close off the condensate trap riser until you get someone to figure this out.
to me it makes no sense??

Author: bsipps (PA)

Most townships require an ac condensate or sump pump, drain to the outside and not in the sewage system, that being said the standpipe for the washer must be between 18 and 42"

packy,

it appears the washer is UPSTAIRS

Author: Adampw1983 (WA)

Correct, the washing machine is upstairs and this plumbing is in the basement. It only overflows when a full load drains and it is a high efficiency washer. The sewer was scoped and derooted in June. It seems odd to me that this stand pipe is lower than the rest of the plumbing and at the end of the plumbing. Could the high pressure from the washer be too much for the line with that standpipe that low and close to the sewer line? That condensate line can easily be relocated.

If you have a floor drain dump the condensate there.

Dump the condensate into a 'dry well' outside.

Dump the condensate into a sink.

THEN remove and plug the standpipe and trap.

Do NOT, repeat NOT, tie the condensate tube into the sewage piping w/o an air break and a trap.

Your HE washer may not be compatible with the plumbing to which it was hooked up.

It requires a full 2" trap with a 40" standpipe AND properly installed 'full bore' properly vented piping.

NOT a 'cheater vent' off a branch main.

Was all this new 'alteration' piping permitted and inspected ?

If not, you get to do it all over PROPERLY so that a washing machine actually works properly.

PERMITS

LICENSED - BONDED - INSURED plumber

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.