Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Installing Garbage Disposal
Author: srloren (CA)

My disposal crashed and is leaking through the bottom. I think it is rusted out. I purchased an Insinkerator 900 and I am having a problem getting the disposal into position to turn the /turn piece that compresses the rubber to the bottom of the mateing piece. I cant believe Insinkerator has not found a better and fool proof way to make the connection.

srloren

Re: Installing Garbage Disposal
Author: hj (AZ)

The Insinkerator mount is one of the most fool-proof units, but nature keeps coming up with better fools.

Thanks but I need suggestions to get this thing installed

srloren

Author: bernabeu (SC)

i have the same disposal

it IS clumsy to install

use the scissor jack from your car to give the necessary lift and final OOMPH

just be careful not to overdo the upwards force, you merely want to lift it so you can catch the ring

there ARE tools:

[www.richelieu.com]

[www.homedepot.com]

[www.homedepot.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

I used my small hydraulic jack.

? ain't it a bi^*h getting old and needing a jack to lift 20 # at arms length ?

like me

Well, if the opening was not to the rear of the sink, I could usually put it on my knee and lift it up.

edit: 15.55 #

frowning

My Grandson came over and installed it with a hydralic jack and it still was a Bittttttcccchhhh . I went by Ferguson to check the price. The clerk said they don't make them anymore when I had one in my car from HD. Go figure.

srloren

Edited 2 times.

Author: Sauktim (WI)

Short little length of 1x2 wood with rope tied to middle. Push this into disposal enough to bridge opening. Longer length of 1x2 wide enough to span sink compartment from edge to edge. Wrap rope around it,keep rolling 1x2 over and over like a little winch.lets you draw it up and still spin her into place. Desperate times,desperate measures.

Author: steve_g (CA)

My 2 cents -- life without a garbage disposal is perfectly fine. I took mine out years ago, don't miss it, and haven't had to snake the kitchen drain since.

Agree and if you have a garden the stuff you grind up could be used to put good vegetables back into the soil.

srloren

Author: Curly (CA)

I use the Mill-Rose/ Clean Fit Disposer installation tool...

[cleanfit.com]

Makes it a piece of cake.

I use 2 of the ISE wrenches inserted into the lock ring at the same time to tighten it. Lot easier to tighten with 2 wrenches.

My 2 cents.

Author: packy (MA)

i like the way the tool has the weight of the machine holding the flange down so that PITA split ring can be snapped into place.
as you all know, it requires some upwards force trying to push that PITA split ring into its groove. this always seems to lift the flange off the sink. GRRRRRR..

Author: Sauktim (WI)

Man, I should have patented my two pieces of wood and rope technology. Works exactly the same way but you can make it with stuff laying around on the floor of most work trucks..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.