Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Ghost flush
Author: karpat80 (MA)

Two bathrooms upstairs and a 1/2 bath downstairs. The two upstairs are back to back, all had the toilets replaced with American Standard Champion 4. One of the ones upstairs had a Bidit by Tushy installed on it. It is the other upstairs toilet that is having Ghost flushing problems. It may take between 2-4 hours to happen but that water jacket will very slowly drain until it caused the fill to kick in. The floor is dry and there is no visible crack in that water jacket. My wife seems to think this started shortly after the Bidit was installed (by me) but that is only a guess. Is there a method or something I can put in the water jacket (food coloring possibly) to tell where the water is going? Any help chasing down this problem will be much appreciated.

Re: Ghost flush
Author: bernabeu (SC)

check that the refill tube is NOT pushed into the overflow tube

it should be 'clipped' so that it sprays INTO the tube from 'above'

if it is inserted below the tank waterline it can siphon and cause the tank level to go down resulting in a 'ghostly' refill of the tank

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: NoHub (MA)

Sounds like the flapper. when the little tube from the fill valve is pushes into the overflow to far and starts to run that's fresh water and not water from the tank reservoir.

I checked and the hose is spraying into the overflow tube, it is not placed (or) pushed down into the overflow pipe.

The fill hose is mounted correctly, it is not placed inside the overflow tube but mounted (clipped) to the top of the overflow tube spraying into the overflow tube when it is filling. Thanks for your suggestions. At least we have eliminated that possibility.

put some food coloring into the tank

check bowl in 2-3 hours

if colored, flush valve / flapper issue

I put the coloring in and it did show up in the bowl. I understand about the flapper may needing replacement but not sure how the flush valve can be causing the problem, can you explain, please. Thank

the seat of the flush valve upon which the flapper rests/seals may be dirty or worn

the flush valve may not be 'seated' properly against the tank bottom

the flush valve may be 'cracked'

99.9% it is the flapper

do not confuse the flush valve with the fill valve

Author: srloren (CA)

Use the manufacturer of the toilet parts only. I have seen many call backs when this rule is not followed.

srloren

I just replaced the flapper unit and this solved the issue, thanks for your suggestion.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.