Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Back-to-back 45 deg /eighth bend elbows
Author: SRLXXIPilot (MO)

I am helping define real world use cases for pipe modeling software (mostly to be used for commercial DWV detailing), and I need to know if there is any reference material available on how back-to-back 45 deg. elbow (1/8 bend) joints can actually be used, specifically to connect double offset (or rolling offset) piping conditions. If this method is still used and hasn't generally fallen out of favor (like using a 60 deg. elbow (1/6 bend) into a wye rolled 45 degrees, has) I'd like to know what angle ranges can be solved, and if out of the infinite possible angle combinations, are there any known/commonly encountered angle conditions it solves? E.g. whenever you have a 45 horizontal and 60 vertical drop-in, two 45 elbows at x & y degrees will connect that condition.

Also, I know that pipe deflection at joints allows room for play/fudging it - I believe 6 degrees of deflection for glued joints like PVC & ABS, and 13 degrees for hub & spigot and no-hub. Because I am looking to solve this programmatically and computing can work out exact numbers, I don't believe deflection is material to this discussion. I.e. if computing couldn't resolve exact numbers, then deflection could make up for the difference. If you believe I am wrong, that deflection still matters for whatever reason, please counter.

The simplest 45/45 connection is a straight 180 (zero angle deflection) which yields an S-turn to offset a pipe run continuing in the same direction. What do all the rest solve, if this method is even used? Below are several I created in the software to give a visual idea of what I mean.

Edited 5 times.

Re: Back-to-back 45 deg /eighth bend elbows
Author: packy (MA)

theoretically deflection is not supposed to happen.
as a practical matter is does happen.
so i guess your drawings should not incorporate deflection.

having said that.. there would be times when 2 fittings will not give you the needed change of direction so a 3rd would have to be added.

also keep in mind that some codes (Mass is one) do not allow PVC nor ABS on commercial applications.

Author: sum (FL)

I have used two 45s to make a 90 degree turn when there is also an small elevation difference. In other words it is not a horizontal 90, but the upstream 45 is rolled down a little, followed by a short piece of interconnecting pipe, then the downstream 90 is rolled up a little, the result is a 90 degree turn with an elevation offset.

Author: SRLXXIPilot (MO)

Thanks Packy.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.