Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 above ground water supply to a garden
Author: KCDIYER (MO)

First, I must say that you people were a superb resource for a previous dilemma.

I have two problems, one of which (crossing a 4' gap in the yard) I will leave alone for now. Instead of running 100' of hoses each season from the spigot to the furthest flower beds, which I am currently doing, I would like to run a (semi-?)permanent supply to the hose reel at the end of that. I could put most of the run along a fence line (downslope pretty much all the way so I can drain it at season's end) at least slightly below grade if I absolutely had to. I'm hiding the hoses now as much out of direct sunlight as I can behind plastic garden trim but that's a less than optimal solution. I'm looking for a best option, i.e., PEX, PVC, copper, even galvanized pipe, . . . . I tried to cheap it out with CPVC one season, about as long as it lasted.

Edited 1 times.

Re: above ground water supply to a garden
Author: NP16 (OR)

PEX buried about 12" below the ground should last many many years.
install a drain down valve so that you can winterize this pipe as needed.

If you can't bury the pipe add insulation to protect it from UV rays.
Or you could sleeve the PEX with a larger PVC pipe also to protect it.
Would work to protect the pipe from weed eater too.

Edited 1 times.

Author: jblanche (WI)

What about HDPE? NSF-rated black stuff? I have some of that buried, with brass fittings. Cheap, pretty easy. Not sure about attaching to fence, might be easier to do that & keep slope uniform by creating hangers out of PVC, etc.

Also have a 95-year-old buried galvanized pipe with a seasonal gravity drain in the basement. Somehow, it has never frozen since I returned it to service about 15 years ago.

I've seen a number of installations of galvanized attached to chain-link fences - a football field, a community garden. The key is to get it fully drained, no bellies or dips, expansion loops would have to have gravity drains, or blow out with compressed air at the end of the season.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Author: bsipps (PA)

[www.lowes.com]

That yard hydrant with some polyethylene pipe is how you want to approach this project no winterizing required
If you insist on having the pipe above ground it is absolutely recommended you blow the line out with an air compressor to get all the water out of it

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.