Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Old cast iron drain stack
Author: KayEnn (PA)

I've read some posts on here recently about how to remove remnant galvanized thread from a cast iron T. I've recently had this issue, took the steps to remove the broken threads, but the cast iron threads are shot and there is no way of refitting anything new into this T. This stack runs 3 floors, and the middle floor is the issue. What can I do about this issue so that I may install the vanity sink drain back into this stack? Will I need to cut some of this stack out? (Is that even possible) Does the entire stack need removed?(Which would involve a HEFTY bill and a lot more demo of already finished rooms) Or is there a simple fix using some sort of rubber fernco and some sealant since it is not pressurized? I'm so stuck with this! Any advice?

Re: Old cast iron drain stack
Author: hj (AZ)

Would need a picture, but very unlikely to need anything other than replacing that fitting.

I'll need to grab a picture once I'm back at the house.

This is all I have until I can get a better picture at the house. The sink drain pipe snapped flush at the T. I'm concerned with access to cut in this space or what else may break if I do....

How do I paste this picture in here?

Author: DaveMill (CA)

@KayEnn wrote: "The sink drain pipe snapped flush at the T."

Do you mean that the galvanized pipe has broken off inside the cast iron T? You also mentioned "broken threads." Are the female threads stripped on the iron pipe?

Author: bsipps (PA)

Looks like there are 2 screw in fittings which one broke the big or small one

Author: bernabeu (SC)

looks like the break is at the smaller bushing

simply unscrew said bushing and replace

ps. looks like a cleanout/test tee was used for a drainage connection

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Those fittings are actually pretty common around here, they also have what I call a frog eye tee which is 2 tapings side by side like binoculars with no sweep not ideal for drainage but it's the philly area way

smiling smiley designed for galvanized vent pipe connection(s) winking smiley

Just a heads up I've seen many of them, they are no longer used that I know of

Author: packy (MA)

bsipps, around here we call them 'owl' fittings.

All fixed!!

not yet

you need banded-shielded couplings

eg.

note the Universal Plumbing Code marking

otherwise, good work

They also sell these so you do not have to remove the couplings
[www.fernco.com]
You want the src19

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.