Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Challenging Bath Vent
Author: ghaun (PA)

All,

I have posted parts of this scenario in another forum, but was hoping to get better consensus.

I am having trouble venting a tub within my bathroom. It is a free-standing tub in the middle of the floor. Please see the attached picture for my explanation. I do have a vent in the up-stream direction with a sink not too far away, which I was originally going to drain into a separate branch. My thought was to try to use that vent for the tub. This up-stream direction would be perpendicular to floor joists; though, I do have a soffit directly below. I could tie into that vent, if I could turn the drain into a wet-vent using the vanity as the "washing" for the vent. I would have to go vertical and then go horizontal and back to vertical. Each vertical section would have a separate dry vent. See the attached picture for my deliberation.

Thank you for your assistance!

[1drv.ms]

Re: Challenging Bath Vent
Author: bsipps (PA)

If the actual plumbing is oriented the way it is in the pic the tub will already be vented as long as the tub drain itself is 3'or less you should be fine...12gpm shower wow that's alot of fixtures

Re: Challenging Bath Vent
Author: ghaun (PA)

bsipps, thank you!

I was trying to determine if I would be better using a vent off the branch, like a circuit vent and then use the vanity to wash that dry vent, even though the vanity was not being vented by the circuit ....or use the vanity as the wet vent with my offsets and revents. Unfortunately, I need the offset in the vanity drain, which is why I had the additional vents. I just couldn't find anything in the code that explicitly handled this situation. My vents are washed, which seems to be the main concern for vents that are "wet", and I would have a dry vent at every vertical to horizontal transition.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.