Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 copper tubing bender help
Author: sum (FL)

well, I spent $180 and purchased a set of old, used tubing bender on ebay. The brand is IMPERIAL EASTERN, says MADE IN CHICAGO USA. I don't know if it's complete or not and I can't figure out how the parts fit together. May be it's incomplete and I wasted my money, no idea.

Here is a picture of all the parts. I labeled them parts 1 to 6.

OK part 6 is for small diameter tubing like 1/8, 1/4 and it's simple so I don't need help with that.

Part 1 are two pipes with threaded ends. These are the levers to use when bending.

Parts 3 and 5 have female threaded ends, where the pipes thread into. So I know the pipes from part 1 thread into parts 3 and 5 respectively.

Part 4 has multiple discs, one for 3/8, one 1/2, one 5/8 and one 3/4. So for different size tubing I use one of these discs. Let's take the 5/8 one which is for 1/2" nominal copper tubing.

I assume parts 3, 4, 5 come together somehow, then the two pipes thread into 3 and 5. But I can't figure it out.

It seems I can take part 5, and it will fit into the two holes on the disc part 4.

but I can't figure out where part 3 goes. Part 3 has "1-2", "5-8", "3-4" on three sides. Not sure what that star shaped thing does.

HELP?

Edited 3 times.

Re: copper tubing bender help
Author: Marko1 (MO)

so then doesn't part 4/5 attach to one of the holes in part 3?
then the pipe would go between wheel 4 and groove 3?
Then maybe the hook on part 5 grabs the pipe as you rotate handles together???
Just a guess
and doesn't the star shaped thing loosen and tighten to allow the rotation of the 3 sized ends?

yes I figured part 4 (the disc) is the "pivot", and part 3 and 5 connect to it somehow.

I can fit part 5 onto part 4.

I can't figure out how part 3 connects. If the holes are to align I do not see a stud to join the holes. Unless there are other parts that's missing. I hope not.

Author: Tom130 (IL)

I believe you need to rotate the top part of part 3 so 5 8 (for 5/8 od tubing) are pointing to the extra holes in the plate. You'll probably need to put that star shaped knob in another hole. Then if parts 4 and 5 are together, does the stud stick out the back of 4? Put that in one of the holes in 3 so there is just room for your tubing. Different dies may require the use of different holes. There are 6 holes in part 4 so you can change the position of the handle for better leverage. Can you post pics of the back of all those pieces?

Thank you.

I spent a bit more time today and I think I have it figured out after reading your post.

The key is the star shaped knob, it was tight, but I was able to loosen it with a plumber's wrench. Once I took it apart I was able to piece together the puzzle.

The four sided piece with 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4 on it let's call that the "shoe". It is secured with the star shaped knob.

here are all the pieces.

I have to orient the shoe such that the tubing size faces "east" in the picture below. In this case it's 5/8. Then I take the 5/8 disc and insert it such that the pin drops into the metal bar. Like this.

Now the other part (part 5) goes on top of the disc (part 4). Part 5 has two pins that goes into two holes on the disc, which pair of holes do not matter. So now the parts 3, 4, 5 are together like this.

Next, insert the two threaded pipes into the bottoms of parts 3 and 5.

This completes the bender assembly.

Now insert a 1/2" (which is 5/8" OD) pipe. I do not have a 1/2" soft tubing around, but I have a piece of scrap 1/2" tubing L pipe (hard not soft) but it will have to do for testing. There is a hook on the disc that flips over the pipe to keep it tight to the disc.

Now just work the two levers to bend the pipe. In my case it's hard copper and it broke in two.

You can lift part 5, then reinsert it onto the disc using another pair of holes to keep rotating the disc while bending the pipe.

I did have a short piece of soft 1/2" tubing, tried it and it kinked the pipe during the bend. I think it needs perfectly round pipes. If it's a bit oval it kinks.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Marko1 (MO)

Good job figuring that out!
That was a fun puzzle

I cut a piece of soft tubing and tried it. It works but does take some effort and careful positioning.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

excellent job

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.