Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 laundry drain into existing vent?
Author: Marko1 (MO)

Hello,
I'm going to remove this house trap and install a washing machine drain.
Can I drop right into one of these existing vents?

I see that i missed the top part in the pictures but the left vent ties into the right vent a couple feet above and then the vent turns and runs through the joists and eventually up thru the roof.

I don't know why they had two vents next to each other.
can I just put a stand pipe and a trap then turn horiz and tie into the right vent pipe and drop into it with a wye?

I'll know more when I get the slab cut out and see whats' up with the pipes.
There is a short stub a couple feet to the right of the house trap.
No clue what that was for?

Edited 1 times.

Re: laundry drain into existing vent?
Author: bsipps (PA)

Take

Edited 2 times.

Author: packy (MA)

i would say yes..
but it is best to see the layout with the floor busted up.

this might be hard to see whats going on with all the mud.
For one thing you have to look at the picture sideways, it flipped 90deg clockwise
The two house trap holes are filled with rags since the caps were loose,
you can just see the inlet pipe to the right of the right hole poking above the ground water.
the rightmost vent has a lead vent coming up into it.
The 3"? stub to the right (next to the clay covered shovel) is lead.
There were two slabs at the lead pipe area.
Once I removed the top slab there was a semi rotten board bolted to the lower slab around the pipe.
appears to be about a foot thick chunk of concrete around the lead pipe so I still can't see
if or where it attaches to the main drain.
Now I'm wondering if i have to bust all that concrete out to see the rest of the lead or just
cap it with a fernco and forget it.
Still have to get my sump pump to clear the water so I can get below the rest of the house trap
to cut the pipe and install new plastic.
I got a 4x4x2 pvc sweep wye that I thought I'd put basically where the h.t. is and run the washer into that.
any suggestions?

(Deleted stupid question about standpipe acting as a vent for the washer trap duh)

Edited 2 times.

now I see the h.t. receives a wye that picks up the lead stub (former toilet???)

it seems weird the vent is on the house side of the trap..
I thought a vent had to be down stream of a trap???

if I can cut the bell of the housetrap and save the female end of wye I can just cap off the lead and forget it.
Or I could drop the washer into that hole if i can find a rubber grommet to mate up.
but I don't know if I want a 2" pvc running on the floor about 18" from the wall.
So my preference (i think) is...if I can just cutout the h.t. and put a 4x4x2 sweep wye to drop the washer into.
I assume I can rotate the 4x4x2 slightly so the 2" aims 45deg toward the wall I can drop the pipe down close to the wall and fitting into the big fitting
Then where do i need to put the vent or is a standpipe self venting?

also if I can cut the outlet end of the h.t. close enuf to the "U" to keep a small stub big enuf to catch the fernco that will save additional digging under foundation wall and very difficult access to cut the c.i. bell off that run.

any thoughts, advice, suggestions? ...other than go see a psychiatrist for not paying someone to do this for me???

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the vent on the house side of a main 'house trap' is a 'fresh air inlet' into the otherwise trapped (d'oh) interior piping system

somewhere there is (or was) a fresh air inlet near but above 'grade'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

thanks Bernabeu,

"somewhere the is (or was) a fresh air inlet near but above 'grade'"

Not sure what that means. Could that be what the lead stub up is for?

And what did the 'fresh air inlet' do in function?

Just found an interesting explanation of the house trap and FIA
[www.radianttechnology.net]

Edited 2 times.

Woo hoo first step to success

That only took three or four days LOL

Author: exapprentice30 (MA)

Don t forget to add a full size clean out fitting where the house trap was if you don have one.

I was thinking about the cleanout but there is one about 15' away on the main stack in the middle of the basement.
Would adding one at the former h.t. location be redundant?

Author: exapprentice30 (MA)

Imo you can t have enough cleanouts and its code in a lot of states to have one where the sewer leaves the building.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

[www.radianttechnology.net]

FANTASTIC EXPLANATION

Thank you.

"Time is a wonderful teacher. Unfotuneately it kills all the students".

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: sum (FL)

that's a museum piece. You should put it in the front yard next to a bird bath!

Haha I'll tell them it's a civil war relic or something off the titanic

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.