Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Frost free spigot only leaks when hose attached
Author: Ally (CT)

Had a frost-free, outdoor spigot installed last summer on home I just moved into (first time homeowner). Made the rookie mistake of thinking no harm would ensue if hose wasn’t disconnected during winter with this type of spigot. Go to turn on spigot with hose attached the other day (temps have been much warmer) and water starts leaking along the wall and into the basement. Turn off the spigot and all leaking stopped. Disconnected hose and turned on spigot and water comes out fine and no leaking anywhere. Plumber coming out next week to consult but I don’t want him to convince me this is a $300 repair (after I was already charged $180 for him to spend 10 minutes to replace the old, standard spigot with the frost free one) when it’s really just a minor, inexpensive fix. I think I’m just skeptical because there’s no leak when there’s no hose (and because I sometimes think skilled professionals might take advantage of the fact that I’m a woman and have no DIY skills with plumbing, electrical work, etc.).

Edited 1 times.

Re: Frost free spigot only leaks when hose attached
Author: packy (MA)

the faucet has frozen and burst inside the wall.
needs replacement.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the faucet froze because the still attacheched hose trapped water and did not allow it to drain

these faucets have 'bodies' located inside the wall or house with 'extensions' allowing the water to drain out with the hose disconnected

the recessed faucet 'washer assembly' (which you can not see from outside) did not freeze or burst BUT the (left full of water because of the hose) 'spout' did and split which results in leakage when the valve is turned open

you absolutely need a new faucet

IMO: should cost whatever the company charges as a minimum labor + the faucet itself

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: bsipps (PA)

Frost free does not mean freeze proof, you should disconnect garden hose, shut off supply valve to the hose bib and open the bib every time the temps dip below freezing

Author: Ally (CT)

bernabeu (SC)

I’m still confused as to why the spigot does not leak at all (not on the exterior or interior foundation wall) when there’s no hose attached.

Author: steve (CA)

Not enough back pressure, that the hose is giving?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the outer tube a/k/a spout must be open to atmosphere for the water to drain during the winter --> remove hose

if left with water, said water can freeze, expand, and split the tube

HOWEVER

the 'main valve' which is recessed into the warm space usually survives

when you open said valve the outer 'supply tube' will leak if it has been frozen/burst/split BUT will not leak when the water is OFF

the outer tube is NOT a replaceable part

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

It doesn't leak because there is no "back pressure" if the hose is not attached. It is cracked and will require replacement. There ARE some hose faucets that will not freeze and break even if the hose is left attached to it.

Author: NoHub (MA)

Ally, have the Plumber replace with a standard sill-cock and shut it off from the inside in the fall and Remove the hose and leave the sill-cock opened for the winter like you should of. Those Dollar amounts are a bargain for CT on top of having them stop by to consult!

Author: DonSaf (GA)

Which brand or brands are available that do not require the hose to be disconnected to prevent frost free spigot from bursting in freezing conditions? Thanks!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.