Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Mini-Rester and copper pipe vs braided stainless steel supply line
Author: Sylvester (KS)

My current 10 year old dishwasher connects to a copper intake pipe that in-turn uses a compression fitting to connects to a Mini-Rester. The opposite side of the Mini-Rester is connected to a shut off valve under the kitchen sink.

I am preparing to buy a new dishwasher. The new dishwasher comes with a braided stainless steel supply line. Should I attempt to remove the copper pipe that links the existing dishwasher to the Mini-Rester, and then instead attach the new braided stainless steel supply line to connect the new dishwasher to the Mini-Rester?

I am unsure whether there is a down-side to using braided stainless steel supply line with a Mini-Rester.

I don't yet know whether the current copper intake pipe will have enough flexibility to reach the intake valve on the new dishwasher.

Re: Mini-Rester and copper pipe vs braided stainless steel supply line
Author: hj (AZ)

As long as the braided line has the same connections, use it. I will work better than the copper line with our Mini-restor.

Thank you smile
Author: Sylvester (KS)

Thank you. It is helpful to have input from people with experience.

Edited 1 times.

Author: srloren (CA)

Mini-Restors are needed because the solenoid valve close so fast it causes a spike in water pressure. They are needed for clothes washers too. You are wise to use them.

srloren

Braided line have a certain amount of "expansion" so they will sometimes absorb the water hammer.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

A 'braided line' is merely a braided (usually stainles steel) 'overlay' of a vinyl tube.

They look pretty, and may help prevent a blowout, but need replacement every 5 years as per their manufacture's instructions as the vinyl itself WILL flex and expand/contract will normal usage as well as deteriorate with exposure to chloramine.

These issues are exacerbated by hot water.

Do not be bedazzled with the promise of a quick and easy installation as opposed to a lifetime installation.

Copper supplies may be reused indefinately.

While the following video is specific to faucets the principle is CORRECT.

[www.bing.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

FIVE years? Mine has been in there for20 years.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

pvc inner core = MINIMALLY acceptable

(note the 160 deg. F. rating)

[d2cl5to9q9oami.cloudfront.net]

vinyl inner core with 'dummy' external s/s a la big box store = junk

however

Chromed copper supply lines seem most rugged if you are up to it. I have been told it is not difficult, but my only experience was removing. They were not easy to remove, but I did not know what I was doing.

Braided stainless is over a rubber-like tube. So the reliability would vary based on hidden parts. I have suspected that corrugated stainless or copper would be a nice thing for bathroom supply lines. They are strongly preferred for water heaters.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.